Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of probably stupid questions. The first is what are the requirements for the tests? Do Sasha and Tucker have to be any particular weight before I can have them tested? I would like to know sooner rather than later, as if they are positive, I don't want to get too attached, and I want to start looking for another home for the two of them ASAP, though I would hang on to them until they are fully weaned. I know that if they are FIV positive, I could still hang on to them as long as I am careful with their interactions with Kyra, but how easily is Feline Leukemia transmitted cat to cat?

Obviously I love them both dearly and don't want to give them up. Is it feasible to keep them even with a positive test result? Or would that be too dangerous for Kyra?

Originally I was thinking I would give them up no questions asked if they had either disease, but the more I got to thinking, the more I realized FIV is not easily transmitted between cats that are altered and do not fight. Is this correct?

I suppose I am simply asking the same question over and over, so I will shut up now, lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's really up to you. During the search for my nephew's cat, there was a rescue with several FIV+ cats. The coupoe ran the rescue out of there home with a separate climate controlled custom garage for the adoptable cats. They allowed the FIV+ cats to live in their home with their pet cats, but did not allow them to interact with the other adoptables. The primary forms of transmission are sexual and through deep bites. Altering lessens the risk, but does not eliminate it. It ultimately will depend on all three's personalities. If any one of them is a fighter, altered or not I would rehome.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Obviously I love them both dearly and don't want to give them up. Is it feasible to keep them....
Oooo another one bites the dust. JK - sort of, my best advice is don't commit now, work with the tnr group near you, remember how very many cats/kittens you have been watching and thinking to care for - it gets overwhelming really fast (right about when they are weaned and tearing things up and the next round of kittens or sick cats needs the time, effort & energy.

Each time I read your signature I see so many potential kitties and I get that it is so very hard to think of letting them go now but trust me, their are always more and never enough hand and homes to do what you are doing now.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The IDEXX Snap test recommends 8weeks or older. You can test them sooner, but you might get false negative results. But, if you get a positive result, then it would be a true positive. So if you test them now and they are negative, I would test them again when they are older to be certain.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooo another one bites the dust. JK - sort of, my best advice is don't commit now, work with the tnr group near you, remember how very many cats/kittens you have been watching and thinking to care for - it gets overwhelming really fast (right about when they are weaned and tearing things up and the next round of kittens or sick cats needs the time, effort & energy.

Each time I read your signature I see so many potential kitties and I get that it is so very hard to think of letting them go now but trust me, their are always more and never enough hand and homes to do what you are doing now.
We were planning to keep them both from the beginning... Now it is only Tucker. We lost Sasha early yesterday morning. The emergency vet we took them to tried her very best, but unfortunately nothing could be done for her. She passed in Alex's arms.

We will still be doing the foster of kittens from the colony until the adults are sterilized, and also going to tell local vets we are willing to foster neonates. We are both very sad to have lost our baby, and feel like the only course we can take from here is to take our experience and use it to help. Alex cried more for that little kitten than he has cried for anything.

The vet we are working with has said to get our indoor kitty the leukemia vaccine on Monday, and the follow up in a month's time, at which point to test little Tucker. He may still have a false negative, but at least with her vaccinated it will be a controlled risk when we start introductions. We will have him tested again at 6 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts