Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old cat had a seizure for the first time last week. ll her blood tests were normal and so it is probably epilepsy or a tumour. I have 2 questions my vet was unable to answer and I wondered if anyone could help.

If she were to go into status epilepticus (continuous seizing) is there any medication I could treat her with at home until I reach the vet. My nearst vet is some distance away and I know status epilepticus can be fatal if untreated for a long time.

Does anyone out there have experience of a cat with a brain tumour? What signs and symptoms did they show? Did you get them treated or not? What happened

I really would appreciate as much information as posible.

Very many thanks.
[/b]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't answer your questions, I just wanted to say that I had a cat that had only two seizures (that people witnessed) in 13 years of her life. I saw one of them, and although it was very scary, it never seemed to have happened again (that anyone witnessed anyway). There were no abnormalities found in her blood, and the vet said medication was not necessary and not recommended unless the seizures happen regularly. This cat did die of cancer 5 years after the seizure I witnessed, but I am pretty sure it is unrelated and I don't think she ever had any more after the one I saw. Both seizures happened shortly after a move - possibly the added stress of a move may have had something to do with it.

I just wanted to let you know it doesn't always get worse, and it doesn't necessarily have to be epilepsy or a tumor - I don't think my cat had either. So just keep your eyes open - but if the vet doesn't find anything wrong, don't worry too much unless the seizure happens again.

Rita

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Rita is correct; this could be an isolated incident due to ingestion of some toxin, passing virus, or other cause.

Nutritional support for seizures includes extra taurine, and vitamin B6. Antioxidants would also be beneficial. (See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... atsanddogs for details)

There is a treatment for severe seizures that seems to work well in dogs, though I have not heard of it being tried in cats, and that is to place an icepack on the animal's back around the lower lumbar/hip area. I have no idea why it works, but a colleague reports good results.

Rescue Remedy and homeopathic Belladonna also have been used with some success to abort seizures.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sizures

Thank you SO much for your very helpful replies. I am a nurse (for humans!) so I didn't find the seizure scary in itself just stressful seeing it in a creature you love.

It is very helpful knowing that they can happen and not necessarily mean something dreadful. My vet just painted a vey pessimistic picture of potentially fatal complications which felt odd as Stoner is completely back to normal - playing, purring, eating, drinking and fighting with her brother for prawns!

I will keep a close eye on her - and thanks to you - not worry quite as much as I have been. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts