Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Unfortunately me and my partner were made homeless and had to move back to parents houses. My sister kindly said she will look after our little cat toby who is about 8 months old. The thing is she has an intact male cat already. He isnt home much and coincidently theyve only bumped into each other once. The male who is already there was meowing a lot but it didnt come to blows. Toby started licking his head.

The problem is toby has started spraying probably to mark territory to tell the other cat to stay away so they can avoid contact. My question is if we get toby neutered will he stop? Hes actually being neutered tomorrow and im going to buy that plug in feliway tonight.

My sister also wants to get her cat neutered (tomtom) but this isnt booked in or anything yet.

Will toby stop spraying? We all love him and dont want to have to get rid of him full stop.

Please someome reassure me :(

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Unfortunately we can't reassure you that he will stop spraying. This is the reason it is recommended to have neutering done before 6 months...so it doesn't start. The feliway may help, but otherwise it's just wait and see...it may take several weeks for the hormones to get out of his system so don't expect things to change overnight.

Having another intact male around will likely hinder the process. Your sister needs to get her cat neutered immediately, especially since she allows him to roam freely. It's extremely irresponsible of her to allow him to do this.

As for getting rid of him if he doesn't stop...you created the problem by not getting him neutered. It would be extremely unfair to him to "get rid" if him because of it. Besides...who's going to take a cat who's spraying in the house? This is your problem to solve or figure out a way to live with.

Your sister needs to ensure that all the spots that have been sprayed on are thoroughly cleaned using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Ideally she should get a black light and a pile of pennies (or buttons or some other similar marker). At night turn out all the lights and go around with the black light. Any pee spots will glow. She can put a penny on the spot then go back and clean with the lights on. Then go back and check with the black light to ensure it's clean. Not doing this will hinder the process of breaking Toby of the habit.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
It should. I've never had a neutered male that sprayed but that is only my experience. Are you saying that sister's intact male is not spraying at all?? I find that difficult to believe. Unless BOTH males are neutered spraying most likely will happen with sis's cat and it STINKS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. Doodlebugs response did upset me a bit and hit home :(

I have already got some of the nature miracle stuff and picking up the feliway tonight. As i say, Toby is being neutered tomorrow. Hopefully this will reduce the urge to spray.

It is odd to be honest. Sisters cat is not home much so i do not think he is spraying. He literally comes, eats and leaves. Whereas Toby is currently kept indoors while he gets used to the home and also because he is being neutered tomorrow.

We will get her cat neutered too (asap) hopefully this will help. As you say, i know it can be a habit and hard one to break. I really hope we can find a solution.

If there is anything anyone else can suggest please let me know.

Thank you

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toby has been neutered and we have the feliway going. Tomtom will hopefully be neutered within the next 2 weeks. Im just hoping my sister can stay ontop of the spraying and clean as soon as possible. As soon tomtom is "done" and both cats can go out we will get the carpets professionally cleaned.

As i say, we have the miracle spray so hopefully that will help for the time being.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts