Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3-year-old male cat who was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia back in January. We luckily had not seen any issues arise from this awful diagnosis and have been watching him closely for anything to change. A few weeks ago I noticed he started to have a coughing spell every few days and he was sneezing. We took him to our regular vet who diagnosed him with bronchitis and gave him an antibiotic injection. The coughing and sneezing stopped after that. While there, I asked if there were any immune boosters we could give him just to help him out and our vet recommended L-Lysine. I purchased the powder formula that you put in the food and gave it a shot.

My cat eats dry food in the day and a can of wet food in the evening. This has been his feeding routine since we got him three years ago and he is quite a glutton when it comes to food. He knows when it is time to eat and usually scarfs his food down with no issues. He was one the L-Lysine for 5 days and then we noticed he wasn't finishing his meals. We noticed this behavior for 3 days and I wondered if the L-Lysine was causing and issue so I stopped it and watched him another day. Still, he wasn't interested in eating dry food, however, he would sniff the food and then try to bury it and walk away. He would still eat wet, but wasn't finishing it. We called the emergency vet because they were the ones to diagnose him and they asked us to bring him to rule out any issues with feline leukemia.

Because of covid-19 I was not allowed to go inside so the vet performed an exam and did a complete blood count and a blood chemistry test. They called me and said his levels looked fine and prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg (appetite stimulant) for a few days. They brought him back out and I asked if they had his blood work report and they said they would e-mail it to me and we left. I am going to attach the blood work below because I am curious if anyone can interpret the results for me. My cat still is not eating the dry food very well but will eat the wet food, but still not like he used to. I am concerned about the sudden change in eating habits. Like I said, he is usually a fast eater and never misses a meal. I wonder if maybe his mouth is bothering him or if he has a toothache.. my mind is all over the place. He is terrible at travelling and gets very anxious when going to the vet. He also does not like when we have visitors in our house so the vet is a terrible experience for us.

If anybody would be kind enough to look over the report and tell me if I should be concerned, I would really appreciate it. We lost another cat back in January due to lymphoma caused by Felv (we didn't know our cats had it) and it has been really hard on us. I am also 5 months pregnant so I am having a hard time handling any stress right now but I like to be prepared rather than caught off guard by an illness.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but a dental issue sounds like it might be a possibility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts