Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old female cat that will not use the litter box and she tends to urinate on anything plastic or on the counter.
what can i do. she lives with a large dog and a male cat. she is very unsociable.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
There are a lot of factors here that coul be contributing to your problem. Like faile suggested, she may not like the litter.

She could have had a bad experience with the litter box that's making her avoid it (maybe your other cat ambushed her while she was in it).

She may not like having to share the litter box with another cat (some cats have to have two boxes just for themselves; one to pee in and one to poo in).

It may help if you got a second (and third!) litterbox. I'm sure other members will have other suggestions for you too. Trial and error may be all you need to fix this problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cats can be "stressed" by being around other animals and cats causing them not to use their litter box. As far as correcting the problem, it is as has already been posted, that you will have to try different things, in order to find a solution. I have turned in kittens, whom I had this problem with, into our local shelter. :( They were both adopted within a couple of weeks. I knew that they were not happy in a multiple cat household, but would be perfectly contented in a single cat home. :). As long as I keep their litter boxes clean, they will use them. I have placed 2 of them on an old rug, so if they find that their favorite litter box is not clean, they can poop on the rug -which they do. At least this keep their poop off the floor.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Do you use a covered litter box? If you do, as Annissa mentioned, the other cat or the dog may have ambushed her at some point. If you have a covered litter box, you could also try removing the cover.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a three year old who we have struggled with her whole life! I have never really found the answer, luckily in the summer she goes outside all the time so that is a great break! Lately she has been getting good about using the litter boxes, but sometimes she still goes on the floor, we've been using repellant sprays and trying to catch her in the act, a sharp word will get her to stop whatever she is doing, but it is HARD!
I also have this girl that lives on top of my fridge, LITERALLY, she only goes off the fridge to sneak outside to potty. She seems to be afraid of all the other cats so she stakes out the kitchen and if she doesn't see any cats she will jump down to the floor really quick and sneak around the edges of the walls til she gets to the cat door where she quickly sneaks out! Coming back in is just as big a hassle. When another cat sees her they try to chase her and she will run back into the cabinets, once or twice she went IN a cabinet, we started putting her out twice a day, she LET us pick her up and throw her out. After a couple days of this she seemed to get the idea and now is VERY good about going outside, If she had continued using CABINETS I would have gotten rid of her!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts