Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've been wondering this forever and then I found the forum so I figured why not ask here.

I've got 3 cats i adopted from the SPCA. They spay/nueter the cats before they let you take them home.

The older female licked her stittches a bit when she got home, i figured it probably was a pretty uncomfortable thing. Well she started to lick on her nipples as well.

This is a habbit she has not only been unable to stop, she wants me to help her participate in. She comes up wanting me to rub her and gets excited doing turn after turn, plops down and starts licking her nipples! she begins moving her top two paws up and down, and purring like a maniac!

Should I be concerned/let this go on? Is this like, kitty masturbation?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could it be a problem with an itchy tummy not so much the nipples? It will itch when a wound is healing.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The paw movements sound like "kneading" which cats do when they're happy. The licking? If the vet has checked her skin and fur for parasites, abnormal cells, etc., I guess I don't have much else to add, although if it's just dry skin a high-fat food might help.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Both of my cats roll and want their tummies rubbed. They also bathe their tummies. I think you're reading a bit much into this. She can't rub her own tummy, and obviously likes the attention--the way we enjoy a back rub. When we pet them, they are reminded of the attention their mother gave them as kittens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ci said:
Could it be a problem with an itchy tummy not so much the nipples? It will itch when a wound is healing.
wound has been healed up for at least 8 months now. it is deffinetly her nipples, you can see she does it directly on the nipples, and you can rub her, and her nipples are wet and hard from licking..

i thought about it after i posted, and i thought possibly it has something to do with mommy instincts, that perhaps the surgery triggered her into thinking shes producing milk.. possibly because of her late age of being fixed, or maybe she was fixed while she was in heat, i'm not sure but thats the only "sensible" thing i have come up with as far as why she would be licking just her nipples and not her whole belly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drjean said:
The paw movements sound like "kneading" which cats do when they're happy. The licking? If the vet has checked her skin and fur for parasites, abnormal cells, etc., I guess I don't have much else to add, although if it's just dry skin a high-fat food might help.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
i guess it is kneading, she loves to do it. she acctually really loves to move her paws! one thing i've found that she likes to do this whole activity while laying next to me, and it really makes her happy if i gently hold onto one of her paws gently. she will acctually take one digit, and gently grab onto my hand like shes holding it!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeanie said:
Both of my cats roll and want their tummies rubbed. They also bathe their tummies. I think you're reading a bit much into this. She can't rub her own tummy, and obviously likes the attention--the way we enjoy a back rub. When we pet them, they are reminded of the attention their mother gave them as kittens.
i can deffinetly see the attention thing. if shes in the mood she likes to have me blow air on her belly, like you do giving a kid a rasberry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts