Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old, spayed female who absolutely loves to "mark" on the bed! She used to urinate on the bed to let me know that the litter box needed cleaning, I have since then switched to cleaning the litterbox daily and sometimes even twice a day, she has not urinated on the bed for a long time until this morning! I was washing the blankets and sheets and had put a temporary comforter on the bed since it's a water bed and I didn't want her popping holes in it. I come back from switching the loads to find a big wet spot on the comforter, sure enough she had urinated! The litterbox was spotless and no other cats had been in the room, she never does this in front of me so I never catch her in the act. She stays in the bedroom with me and one other cat Kitter, the door is always closed so that no other cats can come in, and when she's out and playing the door stays a crack open but no other cats are allowed in. Kitter mainly stays on the window sill and she's never had any problems with him. My opinion is that she's marking her territory, she is very territorial, and since it was a new blanket on the bed she wanted to mark it. I know it's not a UTI or anything like that because she urinated once on the bed and that was it, all day she has been using the litterbox as normal but the second I put a new blanket on the bed she decides to pee on it! Any ideas, thoughts, or ways to prevent this?! Thank you!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
That's the problem with "new" things, a lot of cats will mark it. Better to launder it first to get that new smell out of it. If she were my cat she would have lost her bed privileges for sleeping with me. I would keep her out of the bedroom when you're sleeping and watch her carefully when she's in the room. Don't give her the chance to mark again and never leave her in your bedroom unsupervised. Do make a fuss over her when she is behaving well in other areas of the house.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with losing the privileges thing. My cat made a stress mistake in the corner of the master bedroom (we'd been out of town for the weekend) right when we got home. I actually caught her in the act. She isn't allowed in there at all any more. We spent the next month keeping her confined to the bathroom if we weren't home (where her food and litter box are). She slowly gained house privileges again while we are away.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She wasn't allowed on the bed all night but had to stay in the bedroom because there are newborn kittens in the house. I'll definitely remember to wash anything that's new before putting it anywhere that she can mark it. I guess that really was the problem because as soon as I made the bed there haven't been problems, and she's been left in the room alone today and still nothing! I hate it when you can't stay mad at a cat for too long, their cute looks always win me over! haha.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haha, I don't stay mad. I just treat it like a process. If a happens, b, c, and d happens to correct it. No anger involved. I could never be mad at my kitty. Even peeing in the corner on my clothes is cute. :) LOL. But I'm weird.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can never get mad at Bella even when she has her demonic fits, but I was just so confused as to why she would pee on the bed when her litterbox was clean. The funny thing is I know she's territorial and especially about me! She will never show me affection or attention unless it's when SHE wants it but as soon as another cat gets my attention she runs right up and sits on my lap and acts all cute. I take advantage of it of course :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts