Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been lurking for awhile and this my first post. my cat had a tooth pulled yesterday and has on a fentanyl patch & i give her buprenex. since i got her home and still to this min she has been purring nonstop. last night i wasnt able to sleep with her constant purring and headbutting for attention. she has never woken me in my sleep before in all her 16 yrs. so i'm thinking this fentanyl must really be some good stuff. i was also told when i picked her up by the vet tech that her kidney values had increased since her last blood panel. i haven't talked to the vet yet only saw her notes. should i be concerned about that? note also said i should have it rechecked in 6-12 mos. any advice would be appreciated :) also is fentanyl addictive?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pain med

I once had a cat who needed to take pain medicaition periodically and he would get so happy and feel sooooo good. I don't think you have to worry about your cat becoming addicted with the use of the patch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmm...where's Dr. Jean? I thought the fentanyl patch was just used for extreme pain :?: It seems a bit much for a tooth pulling but I could be wrong. Anyway..glad to hear your old kitty is feeling so good LOL

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Gosh, can you imagine getting fentanyl for wisdom teeth? I think the whole experience would have been much more pleasant :D . kag, was the tooth a canine? It really seems a bit much to be giving fentanyl for a single tooth extraction.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing, that the patch was a bit much for a tooth extraction, but I didn't want to say anything. Usually my vet gives a pain injection and that takes care of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses :) yeah it was the upper right canine. notes from vet said it was difficult to remove because of lesion thru roots. and her motor is still going this morning! any advice on how to give the buprenex? i was told to give it to her under her tongue but i have problems opening her mouth. does it matter if its really under her tongue or is just squirting in her mouth good enough?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts