Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking care of a feral cat who I named Gulliver for about a year and a half now and most of the time he has been coming around he has seemed very healthy. He has a good coat, quick reflexes and rarely seems lethargic. But this winter he hasnt been showing up as much and yesterday morning he came by looking fine but had a bit of a limp and was pretty skittish. For context, he lets me pet him only when he is eating and has no experience with humans. I am pretty much the first person to ever touch him so it's usual for him to be skittish but some days he's more frightened than others.

So yesterday he was alright but this morning he came by acting lethargic and has, what I am guessing, a swollen eye. I don't know what to do because I cant put eye drops in his eye, get close to him, or pick him up. His limp is also still there. I think he either got into a fight, a bee sting (but it is winter), or had a branch hit him in the eye. Sometimes he also has a problem where his eye will stick together and be closed shut for just a couple of seconds and then it will open back up but this time its been shut for hours. He's been sleeping all day. Also does anyone know if his eye could be infected?

Ever since I met Gulliver I have contemplated taking him to the vet because I'm not sure what place will take a feral cat and do a check up. I also have a fear of taking him to a place and not getting him back. I know its a little bit selfish but if I do capture him I don't want him to be scared of me and associate me with being trapped. Although I want to do whatever is best for him.

I would love some feedback as I want to help this cat out as much as I can. <3

Felidae Carnivore Wood Pet supply Small to medium-sized cats

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have to ask...why are you afraid of not getting him back if you take him to a vet?

It is better to take the cat to a vet to be checked out even if he is afraid of you afterward than to allow him to continue to suffer as he obviously is. If you cannot pick him up to put into a crate for transportation, get a cat trap (local humane societies will often lend or rent you one) and take him in that way.

From what you say, this cat desperately needs help and you have to get him to a vet!

Vets are usually knowledgeable about how to handle feral cats. They may be able to give you tips on how to administer whatever medication the cat needs.

Afterward, he may be afraid of you but since you have gotten him to the point of being able to touch him you can probably build that back up again. The priority should be the well being of the cat. To me, if I feed an animal it then becomes my responsibility to take care of that animal if they need health care.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts