Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there's been a stray/feral cat hanging around my house for the past week. He's a really sweetheart. I keep a litter box in my garage that he uses and I've noticed this strong scent. Tomatoes. I swear I smell tomatoes. Is it possible that he could be eating someone's tomatoes in order to stay alive? I'm not convinced that he is completely feral. He seems he was someones pet because he is so sweet.

Lately, I have been leaving food out for him and he's gaining weight steadily.
Annnyyyway, I was basically just wondering if its possible that a cat would really eat vegetables in order to survive?

We named him Tommy because he smells like TOMatoes. :D

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Well, I would think it more probable that he is hanging out in a garden or other outdoorsy area and smells of vegetation. ....but I also think it is possible for him to have either eaten some tomatoes or just smells like something you recognize, that being tomatoes.
I had a cat who smelled of match-heads; sulfer. Oooh! He was a black cat, too! 8O :lol:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I love the look on his face in the first pic. He seems really comfortable up close.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
This might seem a bit bizarre, but it's possible he was bathed in tomato juice after being sprayed by a skunk. He could have run off, as we know how cats hate baths, and was not able to find his way home. Thank you for taking care of him!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Heidi-That is very possible. We do have some garden areas around here. And that's interesting about your cat. Did you call him Smokey? :lol:

@Dave-He's an interesting cat. He seems completely comfortable with people. He even lets you pick him up without a fuss. And in that first picture and last picture, he was talking. He seems to talk a lot. :)

@Jeanie-That, my friend, is a VERY interesting theory! :) I would take care of all the homeless/feral cats in the world if I could. :luv

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Vegetarian cats!

I used to have a cat that would snack on rabbit food (alfalfa) pellets, while I was feeding the bunnies and left the pail open.

The cat I have now, would steal carrots and potatoes from me, when I ate soup/stew. She'd dip a paw in, hook it with a claw, then bite it off. Of course, after reading that onions can be bad for them, I don't let her do it anymore! Even though she doesn't take the onions themselves, I don't want juices or residual stuff making her sick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts