Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two 8 week old feral kittens. The plan is to socialize, vaccinate, fix, find homes.
Only about 4 days since being trapped, they are still pretty freaked. I am guessing
another week before they are ready to go to the vet for examination--I think going to
the vet now may screw them up socially.
At least one of them has diarrhea so I figure they need de-worming or other parasite
eradication. Can such a problem wait a week? I have already read warnings on this
forum about OTC treatments so I plan to wait for the vet. How bad might the wait
be for the cat? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
I think going to the vet might traumatize them for an hour or two, but that's it. I would bring them together, so they're not separated and will smell the same when they get home. Maybe have the vet handle both of them briefly for the same reason. If I separated the twins at that age, they couldn't stand it, I took them together for every visit. I don't think, at their age,that I would wait if parasites are a possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure if separation from one another is the issue. They are each desperately afraid of humans coming toward them. They actually turn and try to climb up the cage or through the cage bars. I was also thinking that maybe the diarrhea is caused by their switch to canned food. So I just stuck some free feed dry food by their water dish. Or maybe I can bring their poop to the vet? Would that be silly, to bring their poop but not them? I guess I could call the vet, but my worry is that he (vet is indeed a he although I would prefer a she for cats--ha, ha) would be naturally concerned about their physical health and not their emotional & psychological health. I have owned only emotionally disturbed cats and it wasn't pretty.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Actually, if you can get the poop sample from the affected cat, that would be great. Or even a sample from both cats, if you can tell them apart. Yes, better way to go. Because even if only one cat has symptoms now, both cats could be infected.

Reactions: LowfatCat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as a follow-up, I decided a good poop sample would be good but the clumping (and sealing!) litter can be confusing. Too, I read that in theory cats could swallow the clumping litter whilst cleaning themselves and that it is not healthy to eat. So I switched to clay litter. The stuff is almost free! If they did have diarrhea--it sure smelled bad--then they don't anymore. Maybe the stress and the diet change from bugs & snakes to wet cat food wreaked some havoc on their digestive systems. So all seems good on that front.

The behavior front is not so good. It seems that the youtube videos I watched about handling ferals were more about non-ferals. Some of the videos made it sound like the goal was simply to get the kitten comfortable enough so that you could scruff it, pet it, and everything would be fine. Right. I am concluding that an 8-week-old kitten raised in a feral environment has a totally different outlook than such a kitten raised with a domesticated mother. Progress is slow & disheartening, but there is progress. So far.

Thank you, Marie.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Good news about the diarrhea stopping.

I think treats, toys and lots of patience with the ferals will eventually pay off.

Reactions: LowfatCat

·
Registered
7 Posts
This article helped me immensely - and it worked. I had two older kittens to tame and one of them was not having it. This article points out its all about approach. You use food as the lure, and soon I could pet him while he ate. Only. It took a couple of months before I could pet him when he was not eating. Immense patience required? Yes! Worth it? Totally yes. That little bugger is now my buddy. He only really likes me, the rest of my family can't pet him. But I don't care. You just need one right person :) good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts