Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding a male feral that is ear tipped. This morning he was licking his back hind quarters above his tail (top hip area) and a lot of white liquid secretion came running out. I thought it may be the anal glad but it wasn't at his anal area. He is very skinny so I wondered if the glands might be higher on his back? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sounds like he may have licked open an abcess to me. Does it smell funky? Can you get that close to him? It's good news if the wound is open. It needs to stay that way to heal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't smell anything. It was runny white fluid. Do you think it would be OK to try giving him FishMox in his food if this is bacterial?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
FishMox is - amoxycillin for tropical fish? I'd not do that. Cats and fish may have very different reactions to meds. And the doseage question...

If you can get a look at where he's been licking perhaps you can see what is going on. Then if you are able to keep any wound open that would be great.

I did this with a frightened stray I was trying to tame. A few times a day I'd bring a cloth and a bowl of warm water out and put warm water compress on the wound and it stayed open and healed from the inside.

The danger is that it will scab over, sealing the infection within. That's why it needs to be open to the air, to drain out and heal from inside.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Can you trap him and take him to the Vet for a check up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.