Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie is peeing blood, and of course the first thought in our heads is UTI. However, we put up the Christmas tree yesterday and I'm wondering if it's possible that she ate some needles and got cut by one and that caused the blood? It's an artificial tree and pretty old so it doesn't take much for needles to fall off. Fergie has a reputation for eating anything that fits in her mouth, so I'm pretty worried right now.

We didn't notice anything before today - Fern was asking hubby to take the lid off the litter box and when he did he noticed some blood on the side, then watched Fergie jump in and pee blood. He also noticed a very small spot of throw-up in our room, but there was nothing in it. She's acting normal and eating normal.

Not sure what could have caused a UTI if that's what it is - the girls had their yearly checkup on Monday and everything looked fine. They don't eat any fish and I haven't changed their diet in over a year. She drinks plenty of water, so even though about half their diet is dry food I would think I would have had a problem ages ago if that was an issue.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
At a minimum, I would call the vet and describe what you're seeing and then take the vet's advice as to when/whether to bring her in. It could be a UTI or other urinary tract problem. It could also be trauma to the abdomen as a result of the pine needles, although if so, the result of the trauma might require treatment in any event. It could also be the result of poisoning and/or various other issues. If your hubby saw blood on the side and then saw Fergie peeing blood, then she's already done so at least twice now, which to me warrents a call to the vet. I hope she's ok.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Even if she ate some pine needles that irritated her tummy, I don't see how it would cause there to be blood in the urine. I think it's probably a UTI or some kind of cystitis, and you should take her to the vet as soon as possible.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Even if she ate some pine needles that irritated her tummy, I don't see how it would cause there to be blood in the urine. I think it's probably a UTI or some kind of cystitis, and you should take her to the vet as soon as possible.
I can't think of any non-serious peeing blood scenario; the only call I'd be making is to tell the vet I'm on my way.

AC

And just because a cat has done ok on dry kibble "so far" doesn't mean the constant stress of digesting those products hasn't finally worn her systems down.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Peeing blood definitely necessitates a trip to the vet. It could be a UTI, urinary crystals, bladder or kidney stones, cystitis, or any combination thereof ... or it could be something else. It any event, it ain't good!

Get her to your vet, and make sure the vet obtains a sterile urine sample from her IN HIS OFFICE for IMMEDIATE testing. Do NOT allow him to send you home to obtain a sample and bring it in later. Urine samples collected at home will be contaminated and will NOT provide accurate test results. Even urine samples collected in the vet's office and allowed to sit around before testing will not give accurate results. The ONLY way to get accurate results from a urine sample is to acquire a sterile sample in the vet's office and test it immediately.

Laurie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hubby took her to the vet as soon as they opened - they want a urine sample but her bladder was empty so they're keeping her for a while in the hope of getting a sample from her. She won't drink while she's there though - she'll be too stressed. Hopefully there's enough liquid working through her for them to get a sample later on.

They did an ultrasound of her bladder and said the bladder walls are thicker than normal - anyone know what that could mean?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I don't know what thick bladder walls mean, sorry.

The vet can easily administer fluids either subQ or IV so that Fergie will eventually produce urine for them.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hubby took her to the vet as soon as they opened - they want a urine sample but her bladder was empty so they're keeping her for a while in the hope of getting a sample from her. She won't drink while she's there though - she'll be too stressed. Hopefully there's enough liquid working through her for them to get a sample later on.

They did an ultrasound of her bladder and said the bladder walls are thicker than normal - anyone know what that could mean?
One possibility is inflammation, which probably indicates some type of infection.

So glad you got her seen right away! Hope the vet can get an adequate sample soon.

<<<Hugs>>> for having to deal with the worry. I've only had to leave my kitties with the vet once (during the 2007 pet food poisoning) and it was awful, so I can empathize with you.

AC

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well she's home now - they got a sample and it was very bloody. The diagnosis is a UTI and they gave hubby Clavamox. He opted for the liquid over pill, yuck. Either way it's hard to medicate her but with the liquid we end up getting it all over. We use the trick of scruffing her on her side on the floor and slowly squirting it into the side of her mouth but it's still a huge pain and of course she hates it. By the time we get to the last few days of the 10 days it's hard to get her to come near us.

Vet wants us to bring her in for a follow-up at the end of the month - if all is well and the bloody pee stops are we okay to skip that?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm not sure how hard she struggles, but my foster kitten is on liquid clavamox right now so I feel your pain. With him, I prepare the syringe (Use a 3 cc syringe by the way, its the best option in my experience) scruff him from the front, stick the syringe into the corner of his mouth. At this point he will open wide in a sort of gag and I shoot it right into the back of his mouth in one squirt, aiming at the roof of his mouth sort of. I rarely spill any. I have found this to work much better than holding them on their side because that gives it a chance to drip out the other side. However, if you aren't fast then he can figure it out and escape. I use this technique on all the cats at the shelter too, and it seems to work like a charm. But I have never had to medicate your kitty so it's impossible for me to know if my technique would work. I imagine it would be hard if the cat was freaking out. It's just a suggestion, might be worth a try. ^.^

Nito, Chica, and Cinder wish Fergie a quick recovery and remind her to drink plenty of liquids! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good grief little sister, this month has not been a great one for our cats!! I read through the events of the day and am glad it's just a UTI. You and Kevin will get into a routine with the medicine...I have to believe liquid is better then pills, I have bad memories of giving Phoenix pills years ago.

Tell Fergie that her cousin Phoebe Jean is all better, and she will be too!!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
When I had to give my kitty that horrible liquid stuff, I would fill the syringe with the meds, then dip it in tuna juice and let her smell it. It was still awful tasting once I gave it to her, but she didn't fight as much while I did it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
When I had to give my kitty that horrible liquid stuff, I would fill the syringe with the meds, then dip it in tuna juice and let her smell it. It was still awful tasting once I gave it to her, but she didn't fight as much while I did it.
That is a great idea. I always get pills and then hate fighting with him every day to force it down him (and the little bugger has learned to gag them up after he's swallowed them). This is a much better idea.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
AWESOME IDEA/TIP! Is it in the "how to medicate a cat" topic?

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
No, I just thought of it out of desperation. I'll search for the topic and add this tip in.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been probably 24 hours since she was actually able to pee - she's squatting everywhere and getting just a drop here and there. How long can she go like this before she's in serious trouble? She's had 2 doses of medicine, about to get a third, and I'm not sure if it's going to be a serious problem if she can't actually pee soon.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know how long she can go without being able to pee, although if she still hasn't gone at this point, I'd be calling the vet again...since that would be about 30 hours, which just seems a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts