Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we think Fern cut herself, although we're not sure how it happened. Yesterday we noticed a dark bump on her chin that looked like a scab, and today she's managed to scratch it off. It bled, so now her lovely white chin is smeared red. Hubby is worried about it because we don't know if we have to be concerned about infection, or if we need to be worried about her continuing to scratch off the scab. We trimmed her back claws last night when we noticed it so she won't have sharp points to rip it open quite to easily. But should we get a washcloth and try to clean her up a bit, or try to dampen the new scab and rub some of the bump off so it won't bother her as much? She won't be happy if we try to 'doctor' it!

I think she and Fergie were fighting - I've seen them in kind of a ying-yang position before, back legs kicking at each others heads. Fergie's back claws were really sharp when we looked at them last night so she's gotten a clipping too!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Oh poor Fern! A little bit of hydrogen peroxide goes a long way in cleaning blood from fur, but it also will sting the cut so proceed with caution! I would try to keep it nice and clean, and keep it from getting too overly crusty to discourage her from going at it. Perhaps apply some neosporin as well, to keep it from getting infected.

If you post a picture I can tell you what I think about it :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well now she's curled up in a tight little ball and refusing to uncurl.... That's okay, we'll get a pic tomorrow!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you sure it's not cat acne? I thought the same with our white DSH and it turned out it was cat acne on his chin from an allergic reaction to something (still trying to weed through the possibilities). It looked exactly like he cut his chin but there was never any "red" blood, just dried black stuff which looked like dried blood. Vet recommended wiping his chin with a stridex pad every day to clear it up. It's working so far... Also, cat acne occurs with allergies, or contact with plastic food/water bowls, as an FYI. We've always used ceramic bowls, so we're trying to rule out food allergies.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, no doubt it's a cut, actually two now. I had noticed she had a little bump next to the first cut, which turned out to be a blood blister. I couldn't tell thru the fur at first, but as it filled with blood it became pretty obvious. This morning the first cut looks pretty good and she's got blood on her chin from the blood blister which she managed to rip open overnight. I thought it looked like she might pop it soon but wasn't sure what else to do but wait! I wasn't about to try to pop it myself! The blister and the cut were the same distance apart as Fergie's freshly clipped back claws, so I think my guess was probably correct. Go figure, we haven't seen the two of them have any fights in the last couple of days!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts