Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My kitten Izzy, who is an Abbysinian cat, is about a year old. She's very small and fullgrown. She's black. Whenever I put my hand out to pet her, she either attacks me or swats me. Or when I try to pick her up. Only when she is tired or just woke up she is usually in a good mood and lets me hold her or pet her. Help! :?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Have you tried maybe feeding her treats to associate your hand with a good thing? Remember to also reprimand your cat if they are doing something bad like swatting at you and do so with a stern "NO". My cat Twinkie hated me going to go pick him up and would go crazy but now he isn't because everyday I would go pick him up whether he liked it or not. He eventually got to realize it wasn't so bad and loves me taking him around the apt. Good Luck :!:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Velvet is almost ten years old and has always been kind of like that. She doesn't like to be held unless it is on her terms. She will often beg my husband to pick her up and carry her around, but get upset if she gets picked up when she isn't in the mood. I also pick her up and snuggle her every day even though sometimes she wants to get down right away. I always say I wouldn't do it if she wasn't soo cute. :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, a firm "NO" may do the trick. When she swats at your hand or tries to nip, remove your hand, and replace it with an interactive toy, such as a wand toy. She may then begin to realize your hand is not a toy, but your hands will offer the opportunity to play with things that can be nipped and swatted at. One of my cats does NOT like to be picked up, but will occassionally like to lay across my lap...but only on her terms. I wouldn't force any interaction between you two that she doesn't like, but I would communicate to her that your hand is not a toy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again. Thanks for your wonderful advice. It helps a lot. I posted a funny picture of her in the funny pictures gallery. She keeps me laughing every day, even if she is a swatter. Haha, but she sure is adorable! :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts