Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK some background first.
I have had a rescued DLH male and female. The male was acquired when he was about 2 year sold. Being an adult his days were numbered. He took to me very well. He is now 11.
& months ago a friend passed away and I promised to integrate his male DSH into the house. Kept him separated from the other two for several weeks and then tried to introduce all of them. The new male (m2) hissed at the old female (f1) but in a matter of moments they were licking each other and all was well. Old male (m1) and m2 hissed and began to posture and yell. That was 7 months ago.
Today for the most part all of the cats are free to roam the full house. m1 and m2 still don't get along for a single second. m2 gently walks through the house always looking for m1 but will sit by the family on the couch. m1 will actively seek out m2 and when they are close m2 will become defensive and hiss and m1 will approach with a loud long meow. m1 will come close and then attack, fur flying and biting (All of the cats are declawed in the front, they were rescued that way)
Breaking them up I have doused them with water (m1 loves water so its no big deal) They will separate but only for a few minutes and m1 will go seeking m2 again. I have also used a air horn (like the kind they use at sporting events) to separate them it also works but after its use they are back at it. m1 seeks out m2 and stalks him. If I hear them fight in another room and race to use water or the horn they will stop the fight and run. I have held both down by their scruffs acting like the mother cat and hissed back at them. No change. After 7 months I am out of ideas. They have separate litter boxes and separate food but m1 will use all of the litter boxes and eat from any dish. m2 will only use "his" resources.
I have also caged them both in different cages side by side but they both ignore each other and howl because they are caged. m1 has lost weight since m2 has arrived. f1 just runs when they get into it.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this?
I'm at my wits end.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Have you tried Feliway? It's kind of a crapshoot, works for some, not others.

You could try starting the introductions over, using baby gates.

Have you tried medication? Prozac for cats (not sure what it's called).

I've tried these methods and (a year later) my house is still cut in half because my tiniest (and newest) cat (Gigi) attacks the twins. I'm either going to have to live with this or rehome Gigi (which I also tried, but she was returned).

Believe me, I feel your pain. I don't think you should feel guilty if you have to rehome m2. You really have tried, and your other cats shouldn't have to live in fear and suffer for the rest of their lives. I think even your friend would have given you his blessing to find a good home for his cat. :patback

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is everyone neutered/spayed?
Yes they are. Sorry I forgot that part. Everyone was done before I got them. Forgot to say f1 has her claws.
When the family retires to the living room m2 comes and sits quietly next to whomever is on the couch. m2 sits relaxed next to whomever. m1 usually sits in another chair and watches carefully.

m2 spends the days in one half of the house separated by a doorway closest to his litter and food. when people are in the house and it gets busier m2 comes to the doorway and meows as if asking for permission to come out.

m1 will stalk m2 and if they get into it and I have to stop the fight m1 will run back to "his" area and within minutes will find his way back to stalking. Like I said I can soak him and he stops and runs but he is not deterred by water.

Obviously they are like children. If m1 would stop picking on m2 I think it would be a better environment but m2 is a sissy in that he gets all upset when m1 looks at him. its as if he says "He's staring at me again."

They both love catnip but they get frisky and the fighting starts. I will have to look up Feliway. Perhaps if they are drugged to some degree perhaps they will learn there is no threat.

If only they made tiny electric correction collars like they have for dogs. If I could deliver the "effective" punishment right at the point when m1 is doing wrong I think he would get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Beautiful cats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I was uploading photos I had to break up another fight. Sheesh.
I have found a little thing that works a bit. I put m1 on a leash that is only about 4 ft long and tie him off in the living room so m2 can sit in the room and not be attacked. Sort of a time out for cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
You know, I've actually thought about doing that with Gigi, but I was afraid it would frustrate her more. Every time I'm in the pet section and see leashes, I stand there for about 5 minutes debating on whether to try it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am in the process of getting 2 males cats together too. Jake, is our indoor kitty and Shadow is the feral I have been socializing for months. Shadow is just the sweetest kitty and I thought Jake was too!!! Now, Jake is acting as though he is king of the house. He and Shadow do well some days, and not so well other days. Jake loves to go inside an old dog cage I have so some days that is an option for me. They can still smell and see each other and even touch paws, but no actually fighting. We also have a pet tent that we use to take outside. It's about 6 ft. long so Jake can really move about. This is one of our other alternatives. I also sometimes put Jake on a harness and keep him close to me. I allow short visits with tons of treats. This works well as long as the interactions are short.

I have also found great results with a few products. I use both feliway plugins and feliway spray. I have also used products from Spirit Essences - Holistic Remedies for Animals. They are a wonderful company and can assist you in finding remedies for your animals. Rescue remedy is another alternative. Lastly, I use Composure treats for all my animals. My vet recommended and sold it to me and it worked so well. I was actually able to touch and then pet my feral for the first time after using Composure for just a few days. It really takes the edge off. You can find it many places, but Amazon seems to have the best prices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts