Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's some good movies playing. Some NOT so good!

So far,action is spelled D-J-A-N-G-O (the D is silent)

Not just another Tarantino movie. This 1 puts him in the same category as Leone. Sergio Leone.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

It's got all the QT 'staples':violence,witty dialogue,action,grindhouse humor,and acting references in lieu of movie references.

But it has a very human story set against an historical background.

Django starts his quest in the cold of the desert night,his scarred form in chains.

Good spaghetti.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Harrison Ford SW 7 rumor? MAYBE! But I was under the impression that ep 7 takes place YEARS after the original saga...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
So far,action is spelled D-J-A-N-G-O (the D is silent)

Not just another Tarantino movie. This 1 puts him in the same category as Leone. Sergio Leone.
i liked it so much i went to see it twice in the theatre. i've seen them all but best to worst, it's reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, inglourious basterds, kill bill 1 & 2, then django--then the rest in no particular order. my favorite sergio leone movie is once upon a time in america.

i've only gone to see that in the theaters and beautiful creatures, but that's because a friend won free tickets from a radio station. bc wasn't awful, but i'm wasn't a fan of the book series, plus i heard they alienated their core audience (the book fans) and that doesn't seem too bright. i was going to see that great and wonderful oz movie today but it's snowing and it will be back in the 60's this week so i postponed it.

i'm mad at netflix so i turn it off all the time and then catch up, but all i've seen this month was dexter. shame is downstairs and the first disc of game of thrones.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've FINALLY started watching Dark Shadows the movie! I like it so far...

The characters are zany-but REAL LIFE zany,if that makes any sense... The Mcdonalds sign-funny. The music score REALLY ties in with the movie,take it from someone who was a child in the 70s!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i thought it was funny. i wasn't disappointed in it at all. of course i was nine when the series was on and not allowed to watch it. i did watch it at a friend's house but all i remembered was angelique's hairdo and jonathan frid. i do rememer being really confused as to why my friend thought barnabas collins was so sexy. but i was never really a fan of the original and i guess that's the fan base that was upset about the movie.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm watching it bit by bit-to get that Dark Shadows experience!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

I hear Frid makes a cameo appearance at some point...

O.K. did they SERIOUSLY just do his 'reclaiming empire' montage to Top Of The World by the Carpenters!?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

The guests arriving to the 'happening' are the original cast of D.S.

I love the whole Alice Cooper bit!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disney's about to start filming a new 20,000 leagues Under The Sea movie in Australia.

It might be a tall order. They would have to find someone really good to play Nemo-like James Mason in the '54 version. When will the story be set,modern times or the 19th century? Will they try the 'steampunk' approach?

btw,I love the sea shanty in the '54 version! 'AND IT'S ALL TRUE,I SWEAR BY MY TATTOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!'

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I usually don't watch anything with Disney's name on it (until long after it's been on network tv, but not even some of it then) but I did go to see,"oz the great and powerful". it's Disney but sam raimi directed it which I thought was pretty surprising.

story-wise, i'd say it's not fantastic but if you go to see it for the visuals, it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, a friend who saw Oz loved it-and he's a fan of The Wizard Of Oz!

I like Raimi. Has he done much non-horror? His Spider-Man was top-notch. So of course they remade it. Barely 10 years later. But it would seem he doesn't hold a GRUDGE against Disney!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i went to see it mostly for the visuals plus i just like james franco and michelle williams.

raimi has done some non-horror. he wrote the hudsucker proxy (with the coens) and directed a simple plan, and of course three spidermans with his brothers. they have a thing for eyeballs LOL. (which you will definitely observe in evil dead and drag me to aitch-ee-el-el.) there's evidence of it in the oz movie too. :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
saw ED2013 this weekend. it's okay but definitely not a remake of the original. sam raimie is now definitely a sell-out. so is bruce Campbell but that's been obvious for awhile.

the movie I liked and would recommend is Bernie from 2011. I didn't know it was from a true story, but I had wanted to see it anyway. jack black did a really good job and it isn't his usual stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
saw ED2013 this weekend. it's okay but definitely not a remake of the original. sam raimie is now definitely a sell-out. so is bruce Campbell but that's been obvious for awhile.

the movie I liked and would recommend is Bernie from 2011. I didn't know it was from a true story, but I had wanted to see it anyway. jack black did a really good job and it isn't his usual stuff.
I agree with every thing you have written. Raimi has gone all Darkside, and BC is no fun anymore. Love Jack Black, especially in Tenacious D.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1st rule of remakes: Don't mess with the original!

That's from Scream 4,which might be a forthcoming birthday present! My bday's today,btw!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
1st rule of remakes: Don't mess with the original!

That's from Scream 4,which might be a forthcoming birthday present! My bday's today,btw!
I have nothing against remakes per se, i'm not like, "OH NOES!!! THE ORIGINAL WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!" because I can always choose to forget about the remake.

ED had the potential to be awesome (the 2013 one). if they had scrapped the original premise of why they were there (or changed it to make more sense), made the stupid guy even more stupid in a camp way: like 100% stupid instead of relatively average intelligence minus the one amazingly ridiculous thing he did, and made all the characters wry and sarcastic poking fun at themselves, then the unintentionally funny scenes would have been really good. the effects have improved exponentially since 1981, and they really could have made it work for them. instead they ended up with an extremely mediocre end product with very good effects. I was disappointed in raimi and Campbell both for endorsing it because the bottoming out was just from either inexperience and/or laziness.

oh well. :)

it's too bad about raimie, because drag me to you-know-where was good and I even liked midnight meat train up until the very last ten minutes, which completely destroyed it. :)

oh happy birthday!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
So is anyone else worried/thrilled about the latest film version of The Great Gatsby? It's so difficult to create a film from such amazing literature. The 1974 movie was a good attempt but fell short on so many levels (in my opinion), but maybe this one will bring the book's emotion and historic influence successfully to the big screen.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whee! I've rented the Bourne trilogy! Just saw Identity,I think Matt Damon brings some real credence to the role. The alternate 'bookends' I thought were just a little weak. It also gives you a taste of real,not touristy cities like London,Paris,Tangiers-any Londoners see the films? Opinions?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To clarify,I mean the real,not touristy VERSIONS of London ,Paris,Tangiers,Goa India,Berlin,Amsterdam,Moscow...

·
Registered
86 Posts
So is anyone else worried/thrilled about the latest film version of The Great Gatsby? It's so difficult to create a film from such amazing literature. The 1974 movie was a good attempt but fell short on so many levels (in my opinion), but maybe this one will bring the book's emotion and historic influence successfully to the big screen.
I'm similarly nervous/excited about it. Actually going with a friend to the local premiere, so I get to see it on Monday!

Gatsby is possibly my favorite book to read. Fitzgerald is just such a masterful writer. I always tell people, that guy could convey in two sentences what would take paragraphs from any other writer. So I enjoy the pleasure and awe of reading it.

The story is good, too, but its really the writing that makes it so special (IMHO). Which is why I don't think any film version can possibly match the book in greatness. So I'm going in without many expectations. I do love Baz Luhrman's work (especially Moulin Rouge), so I'm optimistic it will at least be an original take.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts