Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raising rabbits, and having access to all the rabbit meat I need, I've really been wanting to make dehydrated kitty treats for my kitties. Just never did it. I would love to have a snack that's good for them, that I know will not include anything that may make them itch. So I FINALLY bought a dehydrator on-line yesterday! Couldn't resist, 15% off, and free shipping! It comes with all the different tools for making jerky for us too! I'm really looking forward to getting it, I love the dried fruit chips for snacks as well. My stepdad always dries apple chips, which I love!!! So excited, and yet another way to incorporate a healthy food into the kitties diet!

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Jerky, yum!!!

That's a great idea for snacks for them.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made my first batch of treats yesterday, and let's just say they were a hit!!! The kitties go bonkers for them! I used a ground meat I had thawed, but I've got a batch of muscle meat strips in the dehydrator now. I think that will work better, the ground is a little to crumbly. But, they were a big hit with the cats, so it was definitely worth it! Best part, it's 100% meat, no fluff, no filler, and certainly no chemicals!!

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
You're such a good Mommy to all your kids.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay! Treats! And I betcha that thing pays for itself once we all start ordering your treats from you. ;)
You got that right!! :wink: I'm working on my test batches now, seeing what works best, what doesn't.

I do have a question, for kitties, what size would be best? Small bite size, or a bit larger so they have to chew? I've done both now, and they love them so much, they practically inhale the small, and just swallow. The bigger pieces they definitely chew, which I like. I worry about them choking. What would be the best choice?

Also, I was thinking about doing liver bites, do you think they would be to minerally or something once dehydrated? I've got some extra livers, so I'm gonna try a batch, and just see what happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hear dehydrated Rabbit is very popular among cats.
I heard a rumor/wife's tale that you shouldn't feed raw rabbit to cats until after the first frost, something about parasites being common during the warm weather? Any truth to this?
I'd like to buy some fresh rabbit at the Amish market. Ritz loves loves loves rabbit. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My kitties go bonkers over their new rabbit treats!!! I did also give some to my neighbor for her dogs, and she said they went bonkers too, and she asked when the next test batch would be ready. :lol:

Never heard of that wives tale before. We raise, and feed rabbit year round, and never noticed a difference at any specific time of the year.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be careful, and look things over well. I don't know what your area is like, or your Amish community, but here, they just don't care for their animals the same way we do. I've seen many sickly looking rabbits being sent through the auctions, and small animal swaps. All brought in by the local Amish.

All areas are different though, but just be sure to look them over good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. The Amish market is in Annapolis, Maryland. The price is $8 per pound (!). I can buy frozen rabbit in my international supermarket for $4 a pound. Of course Hare Today also has them. Ritz loves rabbit, but the bone to meat ratio is high. Ritz has a low tolerance to bone.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bone to meat ratio should not be too high if you are buying the right rabbit. Though if you are buying from the Amish market, you are right, it's pretty much guaranteed they are not raising a nice big commercial meat rabbit. It's probably just a mutt.:grin:

Just leave out the back bone, and the bones from the ribs or back legs, which would probably be the largest ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts