Cat Forum banner

FINALLY, pictures of Baxter, my first kitty :3

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  estelle58 
#1 ·
I adopted Baxter from the veterinarian that takes care of my snake. He recently was having issues shedding his eyecaps during normal sheds so I took him in so she could remove it safely. While she was working on it, we were talking about how my fiance and I were thinking about adopting a cat but were trying to find the right one. (My fiance was hot and cold about it for a month before we got one because he wanted to make sure he'd be ready for it, although admittedly, I'm happily the primary caregiver!)

We wanted one that was a tad older (around 1 year) with short hair since we have allergic friends. We also wanted a cat that was independent enough to be okay without us during the day but social when we were around.

The doctor was really surprised to hear all those things and said "We have your cat!" And proceeded to tell us a story about Baxter (a 1-year-old shorthaired cat) and his previous owner. It was a college student living at home with his mom, kids that the mom takes care of for money, and a ton of dogs and other cats. Presumably something traumatic happened (tossing the cat, the cat falling down the stairs, etc) that caused the ball on Baxter's left hip bone to break completely off. He was immobile for two days before they brought him in.

Seriously hip surgery had to be done, but the college student couldn't afford it and the mom refused to help so they surrendered the cat. The vet decided to go ahead and do the surgery (they also neutered and microchipped him) then they put him back up for adoption.

It was fate! I adopted him after all the presumably expensive surgeries and he's recovering very nicely. He's such a g ood boy and my fiance and I are overwhelmingly happy!

Without further ado:

Videos:
Here he is, all cuddly and such. He's like a dog--belly rubs trump all!

Even post-surgery kitties need to play! Here he is, surrounded by toys. (You can even see Samba, my snake, in the background!)

See less See more
2 5
#8 ·
He's a sweetheart! It seems both you and Baxter were lucky that your snake had shedding problems, since that led you to each other (although the shedding problems were perhaps not so lucky for the snake!). And kudos to your vet for performing the surgery and other procedures so that Baxter could be adopted.

#13 ·
Yeah, he's on pain medicine for 3 more days but after that he's on his own. He has no trouble running around anymore, but he still limps a lot and has trouble jumping up (jumping down is no problem though!)

Bone surgery in general is really serious and takes a long long time to heal. He probably won't be jumping like a normal cat for a good while, and will probably always have a little swagger. I love it though, and you're right, he's such a sweet thing, ESPECIALLY considering all he had to go through!

#15 ·
Aww, he looks very happy and he is gorgeous too!

#18 ·
He's so cute! I had a cat just like that when I was a kid, I named him "Mittens", because of the 4 white paws.

I'm so happy to see that Baxter is getting spoiled rotten after being mistreated in his previous home. Lucky kitty now! And you're lucky too. If i touched either of my cats belly like that, they'd have my hand for lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.