Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback from those of you who have tried various products that claim to make cleaning kitchen floors faster and easier.

I think Bissell or Swiffer makes a combo sweeper/vac, mop and squeegee. It vacuum/sweeps then uses a fluid-filled reservoir to power-mop. Flip it around to vac and squeegee dry. At least, that is what I "think" it's supposed to do. :? Anyone know what I am trying to think of? Better yet, anyone try anything along these lines?

When the first "Swiffer" broom came out, I got one, but wasn't impressed. I have a huge kitchen that is a combination of ceramic tile in one area and linoleum (yuck) in the other. The only way I have been able to get it "really" clean is by sweeping, using the vacuum attachments to clean the corners, under appliances and then get on my hands and knees with a bucket of water, cleanser, a hand brush and many rags and towels. Whew!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a floor cleaner that would make sweeping/mopping easier? Right now, I am just using the good old-fashioned angled broom and a decent quality "sponge mop"...with the occassional "knee to floor" scrub every few months.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My house is almost all tile floors. I use a shark rechargable vac to "sweep" every day. I use a different vac for my weekly floor cleanings that is more powerful. I use a plain old mop to mop though.

That flip it by bissell looks pretty cool though. It is supposed to be under $100. I'm considering trying that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a Hoover Floor Mate that either works as a vacuum on hard floors (wood, tiles, laminent, etc.), but also as a mop that sprays cleaning solution on the flood, the brushes clean it up, then you move the dial to vacuum up the liquid. I really like mine...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I would love to find an easier method. We have hardwood floors throughout the main floor of our condo.

I sweep with a broom, then I Swiffer. Then I mop with cleaner (good ol' Pine Sol). Then I mop with fresh, hot water.

If I don't do each step, the floor just doesn't seem clean. Once a month, I get on my knees with a scrub brush to get every little crook, cranny, and corner. So tiring.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tina, you have exhausted me just thinking about it :wink:

I'm going to try to take some time to look around on the "net" this afternoon and see what's out there.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I am on a mission, now. :lol:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I LOVE my Hoover Floor Mate!

I have had it for several years already I dropped it twice and there are pieces of plastic broken on it but she still keeps working!
It does a fantastic job....although I do have to do the corners by hand every now and then.
It is a bit of work to take it all apart and clean the unit itself.
But once you get the hang of that it's not bad.....
it also took a little practice to get the hang of using it smoothly.
By my third time using it.....it is as effortless as vacuuming! :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I have a Dyson and I vacuum the entire house. (We don't have any carpet). I despise sweeping.

My hubby mops the floors and he uses the old fashioned mop with wringer bucket.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim and Sheng-Mei...
IF you saw my floor...I think you would probably think "hmmm...maybe she doesn't have high ENOUGH standards! :lol:

It is a mess! What's worse is the teenager that loves to sit at the table and spill everything sticky in an area that I can't see until I move the table. Yikes! Stuff is growing under there and I am afraid of it. I think I saw it breathing. :lol:

Pretty sad when you walk into the house (after being in the pool) wearing brand new flip-flops, take them off, and immediately you see the clean spots from your wet feet. It's pretty darn bad. AND with 3 cats added to that mix...*shrugs* Our table is a very heavy "solid oak" with 6 chairs...probably from the 70's...a "gift" (yuck) from my in-laws and it is hideous! It takes 3-4 people to move it, and I can't lift the chairs by myself. True, I am weak and out of condition, but I keep hoping that the table will hide the real mess. :lol: I was using my convertible Pier 1 table which was great, but when my in-laws stopped by unexpectedly, all heck broke loose and hubby wimped out. :roll:

It's not too bad until you find yourself sticking to the floor...that is my standard. When each step is a "stick-shlep" sensation...it is time to do something. I can't tolerate the "on the knee" system any longer. I usually just vacuum with the hard floor setting (which, btw is useless on my machine) and sponge mop the obvious parts.

I am interested in the hoover floor mate...I read the reviews on amazon, but one poster made a good point: "Read the directions!" This statement came from a man, which I found to be surprising. I wish there was a try-it-before-you-buy-it option....I would definitely go for it. I suppose I could get it at Wal-Mart...they have a "no questions asked" return policy.

My other thought is to hire a local teen or early-twenties girl to come in once a week or so to earn some extra cash. I would gladly pay (and pay well!) for someone to simply scrub my tile and vinyl floors and vacuum my stairs once a month or so...I can maintain the sweeping and spot cleaning for that length of time. Anyone in the DFW area interested? :wink:

·
Registered
449 Posts
ok so the kitchen floor at my parent's house is massive due to the large kitchen I suppose. But it's completely white linolium. I've officially given up on that floor. mosly 'cause I sweep, dust, vac, mop, mop, rinse EVERY week and it's still dirty. My mother gets it professionally cleaned once a year and wonders why it's so dirty

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Brynn....
I wonder why that man said "read the directions" :roll:
Oh I would love to ask him! heheheee :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can vacuum...you can Floormate!
There is a rythm to it....if you have even a smidgen'
of coordination, you wont have any problems.

But you may still need help in moving your furniture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts