Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I look for when "shopping" for a new Vet. I am not really happy with the one I have. The first time I took my cats in the Vet was a little rough with taking them out of the carriers. The second time they went for booster shots and Little Guy didn't like the vet tech, so he was very defensive -- all puffed out and hissing. This caused the vet tech to be a little more rough than I care for. They just don't seem to be very patient with scared cats.

My cats are only a little over 1 year old and don't really have any health problems, but I would really like to find the best care for them in the event that something happens.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello
I would like for the vet to be close to me - in case of emergencies.
BUT even so I would only chose that vet under certain conditions
First of all I would like for them to be well mannered and that to lead into another matter. And that is if I disagree with something they tell me and I come back with arguments for them to take it in a constructive way (and I am going to do the same, of course) Briefly - I prefer a knowledgeable vet I can collaborate with for the benefit of my kitties.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
When looking for a good vet, I know distance and location is important but not that important if the nearby ones are not very nice. I like them to be understanding and answer questions over the phone if I call in, without them automatically saying come in to take a look. Of course all of them would have to see a cat to diagnose or what not but some don't even want to know your question before they tell you to bring it in. Once there, if they are nice and courteous and answer questions knowledgeably, its a plus. My old vet in Houston was really really nice, but not the assistant and I dont care for that since she won't be handling my pet. I am rambling but good luck on finding a good vet. You'll know you found a good one when you want to take your pet to that same vet even if you have moved. :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree with kitkat. But my favorite vet has left the state and is now teaching at a Vet College. I recently had a bad experience with the vet who took over the practice, and a very good one with a different vet-in an emergency situation. This stranger came the whole way from his home to care for my Precious. His price was reasonable considering that he didn't know me and he made a special visit to the hospital for her. It's five miles farther, five miles that are worth it, I believe. He really cares about animals, and was very kind to me and Precious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
personally, I watch the reactions of the receptionists, and the vet techs when handling any of my cats. You can tell if they really enjoy handling the cats or whether they only are doing it because there is money for the time they spend with my pets. I watch for the "oohs and ahs", and the typical baby-talk to my cats, especially from the women at the clinic.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The vet I go to is really great, they are 10 mins a way from my house which is good cos I don't drive, his costs are good and he lets you pay in instalments if required. He always gives really good advise and is really gentle with the cats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts