Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance's cat Chinchilla had cancer when she was 2. It was around the paracardial sack and was successfully removed. She is now 11ish and as of late, has been finicky. I think we're partially to blame for not being consistent with one flavor of wet food. We also think that she might be just very anxious and upset. You see, her companion had to be put to sleep in November. Three weeks ago, thinking it would help her out, we adopted a kitten named Peanut. Peanut jumps on her head and just wants to play. She doesn't. As of late, she's dropped weight and eats very little. I've started to assist-feed, which she hates with a passion.

We're not sure if this is psychological or physical. Unfortunately we cannot yet afford a vet visit, as the debacle with her companion drained the bank account, but she does not appear to be in any distress and if she was, we would get her into a vet in a heartbeat. Her tummy sometimes bothers her, but other than that she's just very cranky and seemingly depressed.

She's not dehydrated and drinks water regularly, but her eating is the issue. I guess I'm just looking for some sort of advice to help make her comfortable and put some weight on her. We have high calorie vitamin paste from GNC pets that we give her once a day and I've been assist-feeding her Turkey-flavored babyfood. I'm trying to get a couple of teaspoons in her each day. Is that enough and should I abandon the babyfood and just puree some wet cat food? I don't want to stress her out until she vomits(which fortunately hasn't happened).

If the cancer is back or she's fatally ill with another condition, I just want to keep her as healthy as I can and make her last couple of months the best they can be. We don't want to put her through anymore distress.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
I suspect you have a combination of physical and emotional going on...she's missing her previous companion, she has this annoying little interloper to deal with and her symptoms are consistent with many of the classic senior ailments that cats develop.

She really needs to see a vet immediately for a complete blood work up. At her age, this could be many things and I wouldn't conclude that it's a return of the original cancer at all. Many diseases that affect seniors are quite manageable for several years...but first a diagnosis is needed. Waiting could create a critical situation that can't be recovered. So I really recommend that you find a way to get her to the vet. Maybe you could qualify for Care Credit.

BTW...focusing on one flavor of food is a sure way to make a cat finicky. Variety will keep them open to trying different foods.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did Care Credit with the other cat and they harassed us constantly for payments after all was said and done. It might just be the way they do things where we live. I know it's apparent to get her into the vet and we will when we have the funding. Just that for now, I need to get her slightly more healthy and get her eating again. She seems to respond well to Turkey flavored wet cat food. I actually set some down this evening and she nibbled a bit of it.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm a bad pet owner because I love my cats to death.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Could you puree some tuna? Most cats won't turn that down. Or put some tuna juice in the baby food? A couple teaspoons sounds like such a small amount, but it sounds like you're trying everything.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I think I will give that a try. We thought she would be the one to go if it was between her and her buddy, TC. When TC got sick, it was sudden and had we not gone to a horrendous money-hungry vet, she might still be here with us. We will never go back to that vet again. They did nothing to help TC and kept taking full blood samples, even though she was anemic. We managed to get the anemia under control ourselves, but she went catatonic and we needed to do right by her and end her suffering. I'm just hoping this isn't going to happen with Chinchilla. She's not displaying any discomfort other than her tummy, so that's kind of hopeful in a way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi There
You can also try giveing 1/4 tablet of pepcid A/C twice a day, it almost always helps when my cat dose not want to eat as much as he should.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just an FYI- Make sure you check the ingredients of the babyfood, if it is w/ gravy, it may include onions, which is harmful to cats.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE ON CHINCHILLA:

We're doing assist-feeding a few times a day with baby food and with the high calorie paste. It's getting a bit easier than it was before. She's not struggling against the towel as much when I wrap her up.

We put 1/4 of a tab of antacid(crushed it up) in baby-food yesterday and today she ate wet food by herself. She didn't eat it all, but she at least ate half of it and even took some treats. That's a bit of an improvement. She's still very very thin, but hopefully in a week or two we will start to see some weight gain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts