Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can somebody help me? I bought my kittens June 2002 they were 6 weeks old. They were both indoor cats very healthy spoiled rotten, only ate Felidae and bottle water. Girl and boy....girl gained lots of weight boy stayed skinny. Cats moved around a lot and didn't have all there shots (i know shame on me) took cats to moms house, she has outdoor wild cat that snuck inside every once in a while. This June noticed creepy the boy was not as big as his sister but ate the same after spaying the cats creepy tamed down but girl was even more playful. July I noticed a sty over his eye lid but thought nothing of it thought maybe the kids accidently did something. Then I had to go away on business left cats at moms came back in August boy cat looks skinny very tired and lathargic I took him to the vet Sept 16 fever of 105. They told me he testing positive for FIP but it wasnt for sure and that he had jondice and was extremely anemic. Teeth went from perfect white now to brown. Vet said he need to be put down. Before I decided what to do I read signs of FIP but didn't match all with creepy. Even being so skinny and being so sick creepy is still eating everyday his normal amounts which is a lot and drink normal everyday and has normal potty movements everyday. It has now been almost a month gave him antibiotics, vitamins and have him on weight gain diet when I took him a month ago he weight 6 pound he now weighs almost 10. He is still very tired has no excersize, doesnt do much but eat drink sleep but still very lovingly interacts with us. It almost as if he is an old man now. I am devastated. I dont know why my precious kitten is so sad or sick but dont want to put him down because he eats and drinks and still purrs when i talk to him and he seems like there may be hope????

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Arlette, there is a lot of controversy about FIP. However, occasionally there is a recovery. If you want to protect your healthy kitten, isolate the little male and disinfect everything when you clean his present living area. I wish you the very best.
Here's an informative link that will tell you a lot more:

http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cefip.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Arlette,

I'm somewhat of the resident expert as our cat Newt recently died from FIP. From what I have read, it does not sound like your cat has FIP or at least is not exhibiting all the signs.

FIP comes in two forms:

Wet (accumulation of fluids in the lower abdomen)
Dry (no accumulation of fluids but generally attacks organs)

Sometimes it can be little of both. FIP in either form always has anorexia (lack of eating or drinking) which your cat is not showing. FIP tests are very controversial because they can not accurately tell what it is...usually they have to have an autopsy which postively shows lesions on the organs. The only test that is close to showing FIP is where they take a skin sample. Was the test you had done skin or blood test?

In any case, you are doing the right thing. Make sure he is eating and drinking...there are other diseases that cause jaundice. In any case, nutrients are vital to getting over the jaundice. I would suggest getting Energel/NutriCal from a local Vet or Pet supply store and mix it with his food. It is high in calories and vitamins. Also, I would ask your vet about getting Hills Prescription A/D. It is a prescription cat food/dog food for sick animals with increased anti-oxidants and vitamins.

After dealing with Newt I am somewhat of a walking encyclopedia on the disease as well as website locations. If you need anything, feel free to email or pm me. You can also read some of my old threads on how we dealt with the disease.

Again, if your cat is not showing anorexia or fluid build up I would suggest seeking further tests. I went through 2 vets who just wanted to shove medicine down the cat without proper tests until I found a 3rd who did the proper diagnostics. Many vets routinely blame FIP when they cannot diagnose what is going on...seek further tests.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIP

I was so pleased with all the responses I received. This website is great. Unfortunately creepy is a little worse this week. He went to the vet on Monday lost a frew pounds diet decreased and fluid build up in tummy. He is scheduled to have all new blood work done the end of the month. He is taking vit. C and Inferon. He still show signs of wanting to recover and I still have great hope. I am going to try all suggestions everyone suggests for me. I will try anything. Please let me know what kind of tests I should ask the vet to take? Thanks for everyones support. It makes me feel a lot better

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Arlette, as Newt said, he has just been through all of this. We were all cheering his kitten along. Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I will leave it up to him to tell you what tests he had done. He went to three vets before he had a definitive answer.

I will just pray for you and your little boy and encourage you to talk to us any time you need to. Don't forget to isolate the little female in a disinfected area. God bless.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Arlette,

The fluid buildup, unfortunately, is not a good sign. To make him comfortable I would suggest the following:

1)Ask the vet about using a cortica steroid. It will weaken his immune system, however that is what is hurting him now. FIP is a really tragic disease because the cat's own immune system goes crazy.
2)Have the fluid removed (possibly daily) as this will eventually drown him if it gets too much.
3)Check his hydration level. This and food will be critical to his jaundice.

We had to forcefeed our cat about 90cc of food per day. I used Hills A/D, Engel, Vitamin C and Lysine all mixed in a blender. Some days he was good other days he was not.

From what I have read, the wet form is more treatable than the dry form of FIP. I was hoping my cat had wet and we could get him on a regimen and back to health...but our's turned out to be the dry form. :( Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Almost forgot, about the tests:

Be sure it is the test where they have to take a scraping of skin to be sent to an outside laboratory. That should tell you his exact status, the other blood tests (usually done in house) are not reliable enough. The test was $150.00 when we did it. Not cheap, but you will have an answer and can determine how to fight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel so much better when I read this. Im back at schol this week away from my kitty and I feel terrible, although the grandma (my mom) is babying him wonferfully, she just got a full time job a big change from being home with the kitty all day. So he's not so good and I feel very guilty for letting him linger on this way. I've had many cats in my life and I've never had to live with a sick animal, it's the same feeling from when my grandma was ill. I feel as if everyday I wonder if I should make the decision of putting him down, picking him up from moms and driving him 4 hours in the car to be with me his last days, or leave him with mom until he just goes. I'm confused but I am very thankful I have you guys to help me and give me ideas on how to make him confortable. I want everybody to know I am trying everyones suggestions. I am waiting to take him to the vet a few more days to try to force him before he goes in for testing, he's a little too skinny right now. Thank you all for all the prayers. I know they are helping tremendously. God bless

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
It must be very hard for you to be away from him when he's sick. I wonder if the trip would be wise right now. You would know better because you know if car trips upset him. I believe your vet will advise you if his quality of life decreases and there's no chance of a recovery. It sounds as if he might have a chance--from the information Newt got. I will continue to pray for him.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Arlette,

Don't let him linger to the end. A year ago, I would have told you the opposite, but this disease (in its final state) attacks the nervous system. Strokes, dizziness, foaming at the mouth, tumors in the eyes are just a few things that can come of this.

I kept Newt, force feeding and giving water, until he jumped off the table and fell on his side one day. He woddled away with his legs spread out like he couldn't balance...that was when I knew. Do all you can, you'll know when it is time. Good luck, you'll be in my prayers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank all of you this morning for all your prayers, support and comfort you all gave me these past couple weeks. Creepy was put down this morning not too long ago. My mother called me this morning and said it was time. My mother tried her all to help this little kitty get better so for her to have called me and said it was time I didnt even question it. No further testing were done on him. I am very confused right now on what I should have done. It wasnt for sure he had FIP and but he looked so sad and he couldnt do anything but eat a little everyday and sleep. Although up until last night he was still trying to socialize with the family for a few minutes, my mom said he was purring but just not gaining any weight, even though we were giving him everything everyone suggested. He lost all his weight the fluid build up was a lot and he wasnt himself. I hope I did the right thing. A year ago when I brought he and his sister home at 4 weeks he so healthy and beautiful. I remember he being attatched to me right away, he would fight off his sister to be in my lap. Its so strange I had a few dreams through out the year of Creepy being ill and skinny and then it just happened. I will miss him dearly but I just felt too guilty letting him suffer. God bless everyone and I will update you on his sister Shyla.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm so sorry Arlette...This story makes me very sad. I'm SURE you did the right thing though. You did all you could for him and when he didn't improve, you did the right thing by taking away his suffering. The poor little guy...

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Arlette, It's so hard for us to say goodbye, but you will always have happy memories of your time together, and you can take comfort in the fact that you did everything that was possible to help little Creepy. I'm sure you will see him again. God knows every sparrow that falls. God bless you with peace of mind.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my mom said he was purring but just not gaining any weight
Arlette,

Don't question it, you did the right thing. Cats do not only purr when they are content, they do it when they are scared and in pain. I checked Newt daily and on the last day, he was sitting in a corner purring. I didn't want him to go through anymore pain. I think you have a clear case of FIP with the weight loss, fluid build up and purring and I think you chose the right time.

Don't feel guilty, you did all you could and more than most. I kept Newt around until about the same time...it was very sad to let him go but I felt good that he was going on to greener pastures. You're still in my prayers...hang in there. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It brings tears of comfort to my eyes to read this. Newt. thank you so much for all your suggestions and support, we really did do our best. :cry:
Jeanie, you give me a feeling almost like a warm hug from a favorite aunt and I want to say thank you as well for all the kind words and prayers.
Tanyuh, thank for listening. You all helped me though this hard time.
I am okay this week. I miss him very much and his sister Shyla is terribly upset, she hasnt eaten and she's depressed.
I will keep you posted. I am flying out tonight to visit my mother and Shyla and we will decide then if I will bring her home or keep her at moms.My mom really suugests a kitten for Shyla??
Thank you all and God bless you and your pets :

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
It might take a little while for Shyla to get used to a new friend, but I think she'd have a happier life after the period of adjustment. I also think it really helps the human family. It will ease your pain, because you'll all be busy training a new kitten, and you'll know you saved a life. You'll have your memories always. Keep in touch, please. God bless.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Arlette,

Hang in and keep talking about the memories. Whenever my wife would get upset we would talk about some of the funny things Newt would do, and it cheers us right up. He may be gone, but he is somewhere now where he won't ever be sick or feel pain. I can always picture Newt in a field climbing trees and chasing his tail. :)

Don't move Shyla just yet...the loss and change of environment may be too much just yet. I think a kitten friend is a good idea, just introduce the new kitten for a few hours at a time then take him to another room. When Shyla starts "hunting" around the house for new kitten to come play you know it is time to let him roam free.

My wife and I are excited to get our new kitten...just have to decide if we want one or two.

Please be sure to share some pics of the new visitor!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It brought tears of comfort to my eyes when I read the responses to me putting Creepy down. It is now almost 2 weeks later and I am doing well. It was really hard at first but ultimately I know we did the right thing! Newt, thank you for all the support and feedback on what to do, we truly did our best. Jeanie, you give me a favorite aunt's hug feeling when I read your responses and all of you have made it very comforting for me these past couple weeks. I am engaged and he doesn't understand why I cry over a "cat", is what he says. His mother never aloud him to have animals, so it's hard for him to relate. But like my father says, it is still the loss of a close family member. I am taking a few days off from school next week to take Shyla the sister in for testing and if all goes well then we will get her a new friend because she is a little sad. Nothing abnormal. Fat as can be and very active. I am not sure about how I feel right now about another cat. I am really devastated inside but I know Creepy is well taken care of! God bless all of you and I will keep you posted on Shyla. Thank you all so very much. My family has been saying for years that in another life I must have been a cat.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Arlette, I'm so glad to hear you're feeling a bit better, and grateful that we were able to help you. It might help, when you get your thoughts together, to post a tribute to Creepy in the Rainbow Bridge forum. I think a kitten is a good idea for all of you. As you said, Creepy is in loving arms now. We know that, but it takes time for the pain to ease, and to get used to our little furry friend not being with us. I'm so glad you have your faith to comfort you. God bless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts