Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My WONDERFUL 10 month old kitty has be unofficially diagnosed with FIPS. :cry: :cry:

I brought him into the hospital last thursday with a high temperature. They put him on an IV and antibiotics. He did not respond to antibiotics and was very jaundiced. His liver levels were high so they did an ultrasound and took some samples of the fluid building up in his stomach. Without a tissue sample they can't be 100% sure but they say it is likely FIPS.

What I read on the internet does not sound promising. Zoomie seems doomed.

The vets say not to give up. He came home today with antibiotics for secondary infections, steroids/anti-inflammatories and a very experimental medicine of bovine colostrum.8O They said to feed him baby food to get him to eat. I bought an eyedropper to force him with liquids.

So I'm just trying my best to keep him comfortable. I am not sure what else I can do. The vet bill was $1600!! But luckily I have pet insurance.

sad & brokenhearted,
carrie :cry:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am so sorry. That darned disease seems to be going around lately :? I lost a kitty to that a few years ago, and a couple people on the boards are dealing with it right now :( I'll say some prayers for you and Zoomie, and keep us posted. *hugs*

ps- yeah, that pet insurance is a lifesaver 8O

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm feel bad for you. Hopefully things will turn around. I read a post about this disease earlier this week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoomie is better today. I wonder about the long term use of steriods, but it seems to reduce the swelling in his belly. He is walking around and purring (whereas last week he could not walk or purr). Not zooming, but we set the bar pretty low.

Zoomie has always been a laid back and kinda dumb cat. I can't imagine doing anything of this with the cats I've had in the past. I put a dollop of NutriCal on my finger and just stick it in his mouth and it eats it because he doesn't know to spit it out. Syringing water to his cheek really works well too. It would be nice if he ate on his own, then again I keep him fed so much on NutriCal and baby food so much he may not be hungry.

The colostrum is messy. It has light talcum powder like consistency. I mix with the baby food. I spoon the mix in his mouth and after we are done he is covered in baby food.

His urine is still dark yellow, and there was no sun today so I couldn't sit with him outside and work on reducing the jaundice. :(

This is a picture of me and Zoomie in happier times:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zoomie was put to sleep yesterday. I probably waited too long. He could barely move. :cry: :cry:

FIP is a terrible terrible virus. I hope they can find a vaccine for it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am so, so sorry about Zoomie. Take comfort in knowing that you did everything you could, FIP is such a horrific disease. I lost my cat,Pumpkin to FIP several years ago. He was also 10 months old. He and Zoomie are playing together across the rainbow bridge. *hugs*

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Zoomie. FIP is indeed a terrible disease.

There *is* a vaccine for FIP, unfortunately, it doesn't work. Vaccinated cats often get sicker and die faster.

Zoomie's picture reminds me of my boy Marcus. He did not live very long either, due to multiple medical problems, but he was the light of my life for the time we had together.

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aww... *sigh* I'm so sorry for what you went thru.. Zoomie is a very handsome cat and I know he will live on forever in your memories.. We're all here for you if you need someone to talk to.

My thoughts are with you,
Best wishes,
Tanya

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the condolences. It has been a difficult week. I hope no one on this forum ever has to deal with FIP. It is simply awful.

I think I waited too long for Z hoping he would get better. In the end he was far gone.

I'm probably jumping back into the cat realm again. We are looking at a pair of 4 month old kittens (solid gray and solid black). Their liveliness is comforting. THeir foster mom is pretty picky about who she gives them to (even though there is a big population of kittens right now and no one is adopting). We've seemed to have passed the test. I just want to wait a week and make sure the house is clean and virus free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to add that the cruelty in which FIP attacks a cat is so distressing that I think I am scarred for life from it. Perhaps in time I can start a FIP support group. It IS that bad. Ask Riddle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts