Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we had a little "incident" today. Shelly was sitting on the couch with me around noon, & a fire truck went by with its siren on and its horn sounding. Shelly took a flying leap off the end of the couch and disappeared into the back of my apartment. She mostly stayed back there the rest of the afternoon, mostly under the foot of my bed. She ate fine, peed fine and played fine, even in the livingroom, but she won't go back on the couch (*ahem* except when trying to beg for my tuna sandwich!).

Does she just need to sleep it off, & she'll be fine tomorrow? Or is this the start of aversionary behavior? I've had errands to run all 4 days she's been here - I can't believe that was the first time she's heard loud traffic in that time. My street does get busy at times. And it makes me wonder what's going to happen when I have to vacuum or do laundry. Her box is in my second bedroom which is also the laundry room - that was the only place where I could put it. I can move her feeding/water station out of there, but the only other place I can put the box is in the corner behind the kitchen table. And it won't change the fact that I have to run a vacuum in my bedroom and the livingroom.

She's underneath the couch right now, rolled over on her side. She'll let me reach in and rub her face. But she won't come out and sit with me. :(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i would leave everything where it originally was. she will come around. just act normal. play and talk with her like its any other day.

·
Registered
834 Posts
She'll probably settle a bit more once she is more familiar with the day to day noises. That being said though, Wee Lisbeth is still terrified of the vacuum even though she grew up with the vacuum running every day in the foster room. To manage this, I clean one bedroom first then move her in there, close the door and do the rest of the house.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Chances are she will get over it and be back on the couch in no time.
We have one cat who isn't bothered by anything and another who runs off if you rustle a plastic bag. But he gets over it pretty quickly. Until the next bag appears.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, she's out here now, laying in a sunbeam, sprawled on her back like a sunbathing beauty.

Gee, I feel like such a MOM!! :D Only if Shelly ain't happy then I ain't happy!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
She'll be fine. I was vacuuming one day and ran the vacuum under the couch not knowing Jack was under there and all of a sudden I saw a flash of black!! I didn't see him for hours after that!! My Jack is afraid of thunder, too and will hide for as long as the storm lasts, up to 24 hours once. We never saw him come out until the storm passed! I just ignore it - they come around with time and she will most likely get used to it in time, too. Being new she is hyper sensitive to strange sounds. Probably will be for a few weeks, too.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She seems to be more at ease today. Spent several hours in her bed on the livingroom floor while I was watching TV. I even caught her jumping on the kitchen table - that was the first time she's done that!

She actually did get up on the couch while I was on the phone and got in my lap for the first time. THAT was really cool!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts