Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not again! :( Hopefully it will be contained and won't be a repeat of 2007:

http://www.catforum.com/forum/47-lounge/109918-fires-san-diego.html

They're evacuating many communities, over 20,000 people so far. We broke a 1979 record with our high temps today, and will break them for the rest of the week. Tomorrow and Thursday will be even hotter.

The fires are nowhere near me right now, but some of my coworkers had to leave work to go home and pack their families up.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
WOW Marie! That is so scary...
We're very concerned about fires here this year too...

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Wow...early in the year for this isn't it?

·
Banned
302 Posts
I remember three fires that happened in 2003. The Paradise Fire, Cedar Fire, and Otay Fire. The Cedar Fire was closest to me when I lived in San Diego. Yes doodlebug, this is early for San Diego fires. The fires usually happen later in the year when things are dryer. I hope everyone stays safe down there. I know some people who live in San Diego.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whenever we get the Santa Ana's (high heat, low humidity, strong winds), we're on alert, but this weather is very unusual for this time of year. The fires from yesterday are under control, but we have more that started today. It's 90 degrees on the coast, but inland (where I live), it's already 100.6 and rising.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, the fires are nowhere near me. But it's getting really bad. There's one big fire where nobody's even fighting it, no more resources. Homes are being destroyed. :( I think one of my best friends is going to lose her house (she's on vacation out of state).

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Marie, I was watching the news...
Dear Lord, all those people who our losing their homes...
I hope you stay safe where you are!
I'm so sorry about your friends house...
Be careful!
Sharon

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Yikes...there's always huge fires down southern CA, like all the time in warmer weather.
Same here if you go East of the Cascades, as it might also apply to 10cat's, in the desert area.
I hope your place remains safe, too, Marie.
I love warm weather, but three digit-temps is a bit much for May!
Crossing my fingers and hoping things will be under better control there...

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 9 separate fires burning in San Diego County right now. Schools are closed for the rest of the week.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
There is not much worse than fearing for your home and pets! This is why I keep 6 carriers in the attic and all their collars and tag at the read. We don't worry about brush fires here, but we get hurricanes and each year we go over our evacuation plan.

Hope all is well in sunny Southern California!

·
Banned
302 Posts
@marie73: that is scary. I have friends in San Diego and I am worried about them.

This time of year for fires in San Diego is unusual. Usually the fires in San Diego happen later in the year, like in October. It is hot in San Diego year round, rarely gets very cold down there. Last winter it got freezing down there and that is a first in many, many years for San Diego.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's actually NOT hot in San Diego year round, it's mostly perfect. The average temperature for this month is around 68-71.

This is the worst fire right now (San Marcos):

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Marie, How are you doing there?
I hope you're still in a safe area!
Sharon

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still fine, fingers crossed. One fire started in my half of San Diego, but it's under control. But the bad one (above) jumped the freeway and now it's heading towards another big community. :(

I got home at 6:00 p.m. and it was 100. My air conditioner was delivered yesterday, but it was damaged in the box. Got a working one tonight. Thank goodness!!!! The delivery/installation guy was surprised I wasn't really angry last night, but I told him, people are losing their homes, how can I complain about not having air conditioning? (first world problems)

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Marie, AH Geese, that is nerve wracking...I don't think I'd be able to sleep, for fear of the fire suddenly heading my direction, and not knowing it...
Did your friend end up losing her home, or was it saved by some miracle?
AC might be nice...but with all that going on so close, it kind of fades, in importance...
Are you still going to work or has that been cancelled because of the fires?
Sharon

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in San Diego, near La Jolla, and it has been REALLY hot! I live in an apartment with no AC, and it has been just awful. I hope the fires are cleared soon, and the people are safe. Though I am glad it did not spread down to UCSD area!

This heat has actually led me to this site because I am considering trimming my long haired cats coat. She has seemed quite unlike herself with this heat. She just lays under the bed all day until it cools down at night. :/

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found out there was a (small) fire about 10 blocks from my house. I didn't hear about it until it was put out. whew!

Katie, cats are fine with the heat. I lived in Encanto for five years, no a/c, and it got as high as 99 in the house. They do get lethargic, but heck, so do I. They would actually lie in the only ray of sunshine coming in the house. Kids. :grin:

This horrible heat will be over in a couple days.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Katie, EXACTLY where do you live??? (Not that I would steal Felicity, nope, not planning on that at all..........) :grin:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts