Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Mila is frightened! We live in a gated community and it's not permitted to play with explosives or fireworks on the streets, not even in people's backyards... Yet kids are playing with the small explosives since a couple of days ago, every time someone tells them not to they run off :/

She's not hiding but won't let me hold her and runs away looking really scared. I have to leave for a few hours so I just wish she won't be too scared :(

It also smells awful! I'm sure kids will continue this tomorrow. Do you have any tips to make this any easier? We've already complained, but there's not much we can do. It is a big tradition here where we live.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I have the same problem with my boys, they are terrified of fireworks. When I think it's going to happen (like 4th of July), I put them in the quietest bedroom, close the blinds, and put on soothing classical music a little TOO loud so it muffles the sound. Then I sit in there with them and read my book out loud to them.

It usually seems to work unless the fireworks are crazy loud(which they were this last 4th July). Then I let them go into deep hiding until it's over.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's only 9pm here and people are already blasting them off. Sending my little Luna to hide behind the couch. My other cat just gets bug eyed and jumps lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They started here around 7 my cats have no issues with them. However my shepherd is terrified of them. She nearly jumps out of her skin whenever they go off, Oy its going to be a long night :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wah I came back and she let me hold her, she came to me meowing, it was so cute. It might be so selfish of me but I'm actually glad she'll let me cuddle her whenever she's scared LOL it stopped for today, finally, and she's already sleeping in her room.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
mine are used to fireworks by now. In the UK it doesn't take much of a reason for people to set them off.

And over here in Gravesend they just get stupid crazy with them. I think the guy that lives behind us has commercial grade fireworks. Bottle rockets with sticks the size of a spike and longer, not to mention the other stuff!!
It's one heck of a show but geez!
And of course each "event" that requires fireworks is not just the one night... nooooo, it must go on for at least two but preferably 4-5 nights, fading in intensity.

So, yea, poor animals HAVE to get use to them around here! They don't have a choice. I am very fortunate though that mine DON'T have problems with them. I do know of some people's pets that do, and it is awful for them. (the pets)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine are used to fireworks by now. In the UK it doesn't take much of a reason for people to set them off.

And over here in Gravesend they just get stupid crazy with them. I think the guy that lives behind us has commercial grade fireworks. Bottle rockets with sticks the size of a spike and longer, not to mention the other stuff!!
It's one heck of a show but geez!
And of course each "event" that requires fireworks is not just the one night... nooooo, it must go on for at least two but preferably 4-5 nights, fading in intensity.

So, yea, poor animals HAVE to get use to them around here! They don't have a choice. I am very fortunate though that mine DON'T have problems with them. I do know of some people's pets that do, and it is awful for them. (the pets)
In here the major event is New Year's Eve and it goes on for 4-5 nights as well! I just hope mine gets used to it as well. Se's been really scared.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Last night must have passed with little or few fireworks. I was asleep by 9 and none woke me up.

This morning we had a late sleep in (8:30) with me on the bottom of a 2 cat pile. IMO a perfect way to ring in the new year!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
We had quite a lot let off last night. The cats were generally pretty good but my poor dog was so terrified she crawled under the bed (she didn't really fit). It can be a nightmare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts