Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I will be taking the kitties to their first annual check-up exam this Friday. I haven't been through one before, so is there anything in particular that I need to do in preparation? I think I'm going to give the cats a good "wipe-down" with a damp cloth tomorrow and brushing after they dry. I clipped their nails today; is there anything else I should worry about?

Also, what sort of questions should I ask during the visit? She (the vet) already told me that should would check their weight, teeth and heart during the exam. I asked for rabies shots since that is required in my county; are there any other important shots I should ask for?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I would take a fresh stool sample with you to be checked for parasites. If one kitty has them, the other likely do too. Also ask the vet to check for Feline Leukemia. Did you get the kitties from a shelter or rescue? They may have already checked for that.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take a fresh stool sample with you to be checked for parasites. If one kitty has them, the other likely do too. Also ask the vet to check for Feline Leukemia. Did you get the kitties from a shelter or rescue? They may have already checked for that.
I adopted them as kittens from a shelter, so they've both been tested for for fiv/felv, recieved the kitten vaccinations, de-wormer, fixed, etc.

Should I take their food/water up before the appointment? Should I be worried about accidents?

·
Registered
328 Posts
We're taking our cats for their first annual check-up on Saturday! We're also getting them microchipped. We go to a cats-only vet, and they said they'll look at the immunization record to determine what shots our cats need.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean bill of health!! I was very surprised to find out that Pumpkin and Simone now weigh about the same (10.25 & 10.5 lbs) even though Pumpkin is much smaller (just built very solid). The vet did mention to keep an eye on Pumpkin's gums for the next several years because they were slightly red even though she has no tartar (so it's not gingivitis); apparently she might have some kind of auto-immune disease that causes teeth problems. Pumpkin only ran away twice during her examination (& yelped a little when the vet squeezed her tummy), and Simone was very behaved even though he was scared. Both will be getting extra playtime & treats tonight for their good behavior :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts