Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adopting my very first cat today!!! I'm as nervous as a new mommy. She is a declawed 6 y/o in very good health. What should I do or expect the first night? Also, she is a rescue. Is it okay to change her name? She does not have her original name right now. Any words of advice would be great.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Have you got food, food and water bowls, scratching post, toys, etc?
Also, I am very happy for you! And you can change her name to anything you like!
When you get her home, just let her have a wander around your house, let her get used to it. All the best to you and your fist kittiecat!:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very good advice from KittieLover, also good to have cat litter, a cat litterbox in the room where she will be introduced to and lots of love! :) If you wanted to change her food, you should also do it gradually.. so like over a week, gradually adding more and more of the new food to her old food ratio.

Enjoy your new cat! :) What name were you thinking of changing hers to?

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Congratulations!

Yes, you can change her name.

She should have a safe place for her first few days, your bedroom, the bathroom, a spare room. Some cats don't eat right away, so don't panic (unless she goes more than 24 hours).

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Congratulations! I agree with Marie regarding the safe room. She will likely be as nervous as you, and then some. I hope she settles in well. You must post pictures when you have some, and let us know what name you decided on!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am adopting my very first cat today!!! I'm as nervous as a new mommy. She is a declawed 6 y/o in very good health. What should I do or expect the first night? Also, she is a rescue. Is it okay to change her name? She does not have her original name right now. Any words of advice would be great.
err.....

Have you got food, food and water bowls, scratching post, toys, etc?
Also, I am very happy for you! And you can change her name to anything you like!
When you get her home, just let her have a wander around your house, let her get used to it. All the best to you and your fist kittiecat!:D
I wish you the best with your new furball!!!! Scratching post not needed though......

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congratulation and thank you for saving a kitty.
If she react at her current name I would keep it. If not change it and let it be a first word she will hear from you. Like most cats (I say most, because my Samantha wasn't) are very shine at arrival. Don't panic, she will be ok after one day.
Enjoy your new kitty.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Wow your first kitty, that is sooo exciting! I remember when I first brought home my first cat. Although she does not have claws, I believe cats still have that instinct to claw at furniture so you may see her doing that anyway (but without destroying anything at least). Remember to just have lots of patience if she is a shy one. I hope she wasn't abused by her previous owner. Do you know her background? Best of luck and please post some pics of her. We love looking at kitty pics here!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Of first importance is the litterbox. Really. Cats are clean animals and they like to have somewhere to go. It was the first place Zenobi headed for, and Missy didn't take long to find it. The cat will almost certainly be as fearful of what lies ahead as you are. This may lead to a need for a litterbox when you get it home.

I know some members have other ideas, but I allowed both Zenobi and Missy to find their own safe place to hide/shelter. I kept an eye on them but didn't bother them. I allowed them to come to me first.

I had a bit of trouble with the food. Zenobi refused the kibble I'd bought. It was one of the better brands. Missy wasn't so difficult over food, but big and hefty though she is, she was picky over food at first. These days she sort of takes what's given, which is Friskies kibble always available, and because I'm around to do it, several small feeds of canned wet food during the day. Sometimes in the mornings she will ask for a bit more when she's finished the first small amount. Trial and error was the way I handled it. My error because I didn't understand that they'd be off their food for the first little while.

Zenobi had what I thought was an ugly name so I changed it, and anyway, I already had the name Zenobi chosen. It fitted perfectly and she took to it easily. With Missy I would have changed her name to something less mundane, but she knew the name Missy and it was short. I kept it.

The big don't, as far as I'm concerned, is not to pressure the cat, especially in the first few days. That, of course, does not mean you shouldn't keep an eye out for dangerous or unwnated behaviour. Luckily Zenobi alreay knew the word 'NO' so that she pulled back from jumping up on the counter when I said it. Later I lifted her up and let her have a good look at the counter from my arms.

Good luck and I hope you are both very happy together.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Best of luck and please post some pics of her. We love looking at kitty pics here!!!
Yes! We need pictures!

Congratulations, and kudos for buying an adult kitty, so many people go straight for the kittens. It's kind of sad to see the older ones sitting quietly in their cages while everyone is clamoring to see the kittens.

How exciting!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Congratulations on your new kitty! You must show us photos as soon as you get her. :)

If she is declawed, I believe it is recommended to buy a certain type of litter. Maybe someone else here knows a bit more about that..??

I believe in keeping a cat's name what it was, unless you say, give them a nickname and they start to respond to that more. But it's up to you. ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts