Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I force fed Razzle thru to today. He went for his first diaresis and will have it done again on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then i will be giving flutilds a home. Poor little guy has an iv in his leg with a bandage around it. He tried to bite it off at the vets but they sprayed something on it so he wouldn't. He came home around 6 pm and peed. I just tried to feed him some pureed renal food. He licked it a few times. He never did like the renal food from 2 years ago. I'm going to have to force fed for a while i guess until he hopefully will start eatting on his own. He looks pretty good for a cat with aweful blood work. He came and scratched the post and he came on my lap on Saturday which made me happy because Friday he hid all day. I hope he makes it thru this. He gets 1/4 of a Pepcid AC 10 mg 2 times a day. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kathy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh dear....I do wish you well. I had to have my darling little tabby blue point, Miranda, put down just over a year ago because of renal disease.

She would certainly perk up after the IV fluids, so I hope your little darling does.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second day of diaresis. He is such a good little patient. Always before he was scared to go to the vets. Today he rubbed his body against the vet's leg. The vet was surprised and asked me if he is always like that. I said he's never done that with a vet. Tomorrow is the last day and blood work will be done to see if his values have gone down. God i hope so. Also put him on an appetite stimulant. I'll be learning how to give fluids. Poor little Razzle but he is such a kind, gentle soul. He does love the liver i pureed for him. I don't have to force him to eat it. Everyone send kitty prayers for him.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
>>Today he rubbed his body against the vet's leg

That's so sweet! He can tell that what the vet is doing is making him feel better.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Second day of diaresis. He is such a good little patient. Always before he was scared to go to the vets. Today he rubbed his body against the vet's leg.
That's one of the things that most surprises people who are dealing with their first CRF cat. It doesn't take a CRF cat long to figure out that the treatments are actually making them feel MUCH better - esp. receiving fluids. I certainly dreaded administering fluids to my first CRF cat many years ago, and I was totally amazed that she didn't rip my face off while doing so (she was a VERY unpleasant little cat). Razzle knows how much better the diuresis made him feel that first day, and he was letting the vet know that he was ready to feel that way again!

Also put him on an appetite stimulant.
A little warning about cyproheptadine and mirtazapine (assuming the appetite stimulant you're using is one of these) ... Both of these drugs can cause anxious behavior in some cats at too high a dose. If Razzle acts wierded out after taking one of these, just reduce the dose by half.

I'll be learning how to give fluids.
Most importantly, make sure the vet instructs you on properly warming the fluids, because that can make the difference between Razzle cooperating and running for his life when receiving fluids. Also, the right needles can make a significant difference in his comfort during the procedure. Many CRF caretakers prefer to use Terumo Ultra Thin Wall 20 gauge needles which can be purchased here:

Terumo Needles, Box of 100 - Thriving Pets

If the vet doesn't have you using a phosphorus binder (aluminum hydroxide) in Razzle's food, you should DEFINITELY speak with him about that. High phosphorus can make a CRF cat feel very ill and inappetant, and Razzle's phos is quite high. It needs to be brought down ASAP. You can buy al hyd without a prescription at the same store I linked above. Oh, and you can buy IV tubing inexpensively there, too.

He does love the liver i pureed for him. I don't have to force him to eat it.
It's great to find foods that Razzle likes and will eat on his own, but do be careful about feeding too much liver. Liver is very high in Vit. A, and too much Vit. A is toxic.

Laurie

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Razzle

Went to the vet today. He lost a pound and his temp is low. He hates me force feeding. He got 200 ml of fluid and a shot for nausea and vomiting which he will get everyday till Friday. The vet wasn't hopeful. I just cried while in the waiting room. I guess if this doesn't help by Friday then i should PTS. The vet wasn't hopeful. Vet said give antiacid 1 hour before he eats. I have already spent about $1000.00. I just don't have any more i can spend. I'm beating myself up because i didn't put him on a phosphorus binder when he was first diagnosed and that i didn't do sub-q fluids a lot earlier. I know i shouldn't do that but i can't help it. I had to tape cardboard all around my bed so he couldn't hide under it. I guess i need to force feed him every 2 hours. I'm surprised the vet didn't have me give fluids everyday after he had the diaresis. Maybe it would have made a difference and i didn't know any better. It tears me up having to force feed him

Kathy

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel for you so much. It's very hard to know when it's time, but I certainly cannot stand for them to be unhappy.

You can only do what you can do and it sounds as though you have done your very best.

Will be thinking of you both.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm sending kitty prayers to Razzle. I hope all goes well with the treatment. You're doing everything you can. He knows he's loved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts