Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so proud of my girl - Mystique has only been with us less than 3 months, and as you may remember was initially so scared when the rescue trapped her that she was mistaken for feral. When we took her for her wellness vet visit about a month after we got her, the vet did her nails and she was very good but I know cats are often better when they are not in their environment and also of course vets are much more experienced and can get the job done in a speedy fashion.

Yesterday, my husband and I attempted to trim her nails for the first time. I held her and he clipped, and we only got through 3 nails before she started to panic a bit. We immediately stopped and I gave her freeze dried shrimp treats, her favorite. She seemed okay afterwards and didn't avoid us or anything.

So this morning we decided to have another go at it. Again I held her and my husband clipped, and amazingly we got all the rest of her front nails clipped! She was so good I couldn't believe it - she just hid her head in the crook of my arm and stayed still, at least still enough for us to complete the job.

Afterwards, she got more shrimp treats and we had a great play session with her centipede wand toy - in other words she was pretty much unfazed. I can't help but think that the fact that we respected her signals and stopped last night when she was panicky helped her to trust us more today. I am so psyched!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Don't experiences like this make you want to celebrate??!! Go share a nice dinner with hubby this week and toast to your new milestone with Mystique.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
your suspicions of respecting her 'signals' are right on the mark! Cats trust you more like you trust them to read and obey your signals.

Congrats on the success!!

Now, just don't be upset if the next time she isn't quite as patient. They are like us, different days, different moods.
Sometimes mine don't seem to care at all as long as I am quick... and I make sure I am lol. Other times, they watch and act like they are going to bite if I make a wrong move! LOL they don't bite but they like to act like it.
Then there are other times where 'we' just have to wiggle around and put 'our' head in the way so I can't see what I'm doing! lol

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Well done Heather & Hubbs!!
Respecting her signals and giving her Special treats, is the beginning of much easier nail clipping in the future!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats, I've tried several times to clip Gizmos nails but he wont have it. He's all happy and purring when I pick him up but as soon as I touch his toes he starts growling and spitting, giving me a severe warning to back off, He just hates having his feet touched for some reason.

So I always end up letting the vet do it, Oddly enough he just sits there and lets the vet do it without so much as a murmur.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Haha Dave! Gizmo knows he can't "train" the vet!'...;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats, I've tried several times to clip Gizmos nails but he wont have it. He's all happy and purring when I pick him up but as soon as I touch his toes he starts growling and spitting, giving me a severe warning to back off, He just hates having his feet touched for some reason.

So I always end up letting the vet do it, Oddly enough he just sits there and lets the vet do it without so much as a murmur.
Rosie also won't let me trim her nails, but she doesn't ordinarily mind her feet being touched. I can even press her paws to make her claws come out, but if I have the clippers in my hand it's a no-go. She doesn't look like she's going to bite but she makes a SERIOUS effort to get away. It's odd b/c she's never had a traumatic nail trim, as far as cutting to the quick. However, last week at the vet's office it took three people to clip all of her nails! She had to be restrained in a towel and was making the most awful noises. The vet herself and both techs were astounded by how fast her personality changed when it came to getting her nails done.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Dave, it really is about being calm and confident!
The cat does sense that and in turn feels more confident about what you're doing to it!
Any question mark in your head about how its going to go...
will basically translate to the cst as, "If you don't know what you're doing...why should I trust you?!"
Cats have an uncanny ability to pick up on any instability, from humans or other animals...
If your life depended on sensing the world around you 24/7, you can bet we'd all be more aware of 'Vibes!' around us!
Just my take and observations on animals, cats especially!
Keep trying, but do only what you feel confident doing! Even if its just one nail a day, it will build confidence for both of you!!
Good Luck!:-D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dave, it really is about being calm and confident!
The cat does sense that and in turn feels more confident about what you're doing to it!
Any question mark in your head about how its going to go...
will basically translate to the cst as, "If you don't know what you're doing...why should I trust you?!"
Cats have an uncanny ability to pick up on any instability, from humans or other animals...
If your life depended on sensing the world around you 24/7, you can bet we'd all be more aware of 'Vibes!' around us!
Just my take and observations on animals, cats especially!
Keep trying, but do only what you feel confident doing! Even if its just one nail a day, it will build confidence for both of you!!
Good Luck!:-D
Good advice ;-) , Think I'll just leave it to the vet though, less chance of me getting clawed and he spends enough time there anyway, they may as well do it whilst they have him.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I've always been sort of a pro cat nail trimer if I do say so ;). It is all about my confidence with the cats. Even marshall who hates being held will let me do his nails. And LOTS of freeze dried chicken treats!!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, yes LOTS of treats are pivotal I think lol.

Don't experiences like this make you want to celebrate??!! Go share a nice dinner with hubby this week and toast to your new milestone with Mystique.
Yes, they do indeed! When our poor little mites who come to us with who knows what trauma decide we are trustworthy, it is great cause for celebration. That's a good idea Marcia, think we'll do that! :thumb

Cat face, I agree - she may run hot and cold with it just like anything else. But I think how she acted today shows me we most likely will be able to get it done at home without having to bring her to the vet every time, even if it takes multiple days or multiple tries. And the best part was even at her 'worst' last night, she never offered to bite or scratch. She just got a bit freaked out and started to struggle, which is when we stopped.

I'm so relieved they are done as her nails were starting to get to the point where she was snagging things and I was so afraid she was going to tear one out, god forbid.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I can brush his teeth, clean his ear/eye/nose, groom him, but when it comes to his nails.....I need permission, lol. If he comes to me for a chin rub and instead of giving a chin rub, I trim his nails...wowwww! blood drawing bite!

Oh well, not that I never trimmed his nails, but I trimmed that w/o holding his paw, I tried holding his paw for a trim when he was taking his nap, he didn't allow. What I have been doing all this while was, talk to him, then show him the nail clipper, then in just a few seconds, he will extend his nails, then I go clipping the exposed nails, that's it. Depending on how many nails he allow, mostly 2 at a time, and I ever did up to 8 nails at one go. The only time I needed treats is during grooming, ear/nose/eye cleaning and brushing his teeth, no treats needed. He seemed to enjoy having his ear cleaned, so he will gladly let me do it.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
:) you're probably right, he doesn't even complain when the vet uses her rectal thermometer :shock: he would likely tear my nose of if I tried.
Better keep your nose away from that procedure!! :eek: I know exactly what you mean. If I pick up Lacey to put her on the counter for any reason like clean her eyes, she gets royally ticked at me. At the vet's last week she was so patient and calm they were able to take her blood pressure, temperature and even x rays without incident. Doing even one of these at home would have meant getting bit!! :crying

1 - 14 of 14 Posts