Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, what was the first sight you had of your cat? Why did you choose them?

---

When I went to the shelter, I went into the room of young cats. This handsome black and white cat came right up to me and begged for me to give him attention. But I wanted a cat that liked to be held, so I picked him up and he jumped from my arms. So then I went to play with the other cats and I was making the toy go in circles and Cherry was the one running in circles and falling over with dizziness. But that wasn't when I chose her. I didn't really want a plain old black and white cat, so I looked at the other cats. None wanted to be held and then I picked up Cherry and she flopped over and let me rub her belly. So I chose her.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Misa( or Katie as was named at the animal shelter) was unexpected. There was this one cat name Arwen that I really liked on the website of my local animal shelter( And she was a Siamese mix too), but I didn't really get a chance to hold her. I was going to if Misa( Or Katie) wasn't so hyper( But she was actually calm and purring.) All of the other cats I saw were really jumpy and wanted to run away from my hands. Poor things. And this Domestic Longhair mix cat name Muffin didn't let me pet her at all..

Misa was the only one that didn't do all of those things. ^^

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
When I used to volunteer at Carolines Kids cat shelter, Juno would follow me around while I cleaned the room she was in. Whatever I was doing, scooping litter, mopping, changing bedding, there was Juno with her big owl eyes watching me. She just had to come home with me!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Apollo was crawling up some little girl's neck at the shelter, while she was screaming to get him off. I turned to my boyfriend and said "I think we should get that one!"

He has concluded I am never allowed to pick out a pet ever again. XD

Athena was more his choice (which explains why she's so well-behaved). He saw an adorable photo of her on Petfinder while we were browsing, and we were both taken by her cute little face right away: http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii293/saitenyo/CA40217593952-1-x.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
I first saw Maggie on Petfinders.com. She was a new arrival at our local shelter. When I saw her little fuzzy face I was in love! I went to see her the next morning and loved her even more. She was just a cuddly and sweet as I'd imagined. I'm so glad I looked for her when I did, b/c someone called inquiring about her while I was there to apply for her. I'm such a lucky cat-mom!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was called to go watch over my grandma's house and cats because she just went into the hospital and I was told her Siamese cat had just had kittens.I walked in the door and saw two adult cats take off along with five of six kittens.Boo had stayed behind and was meowing at me so pitifully so I picked him up and he started purring I knew I couldn't get rid of him even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When we went to meet Wicket we were expecting him to take some time to warm up to us because he was a stray living under someone else's porch--but as soon as we sat down he hopped out from under the porch, gave a big stretch, and said "miaw?" That was pretty much it for him, we knew he was right.

And with Atlas, he was a scared tiny kitten we met in a parking lot (the host dad volunteered to drive him halfway so we could take a look at him) and he crawled right up under my chin, purred a bit in the rain and wind, and then started to look around--curious even though he was frightened!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Paizly - I'm sure the very first time I saw her was under the porch...though I really saw several bundles of fur, and they all looked alike (lynx points).
The time I really saw her, was when the queen was leading them off in the yard to go exploring/hunting/whatever... she was the last one in the line, hobbling. I knew something was wrong, so I went and picked her up and noticed she had no back legs! Can't hunt or run from predators very well that way, so I took her in!

Nebbie - In a cage on adoption day at Petco. I was sort of apathetic about black cats, but agreed to take her home when we couldn't find another foster for her. And I had promised my dad I wouldn't bring any home when I started volunteering! That lasted maybe a month! LOL I was only supposed to keep her over the weekend while more calls were made...ended up being the whole week. A month... a year... 2 years. Finally I just kept her for my own.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Blaze - I first saw him when the TNR lady brought him over to our house, we'd been phoning around looking for a kitten and there just weren't any. I also really had my heart set on an orange cat. He was a scared litle guy, but with some work he warmed up to become a very lovable cat to the few people he knows. He's my purring, meowing head-butting, drooling boy. The last part isn't as welcome, but we love him anyway.

Blacky - I guess the first time I saw her, she'd have been observing us before dashing off it we made a single step towards her. Fast forward a year or so and she finally allowed me close enough to pet her. She took a lot of work, but she's my baby now and never did think it wasn't worth the effort. She's sleeping on me as I type this. :)

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Oh! Where to start!
Most first sightings were as they slunk around our property and then coming when I put food out for them.

BooBoo's first sighting was when I saw him be hit by a car as a young cat in 1999. I do not know HOW he survived it with no injuries, but he did. Boo is now 13yrs old.

My husband saw Louie-2005 at his power plant in Georgia, very ill, and he brought him right home to me to take to the vet. Husband did the same with Enkei-1994, Bonnie-1995 and Marmalade-1996, all from a California power plant.

I have never chosen my own cat. They have all chosen me. Or I was chosen for them, in the case of Skippyjon Jones.

His newlywed-out-of-HighSchool military family was stationed overseas and they had the $ for the shipping flight, but found they didn't have the $ for the mandatory quarantine. I offered a long-term foster situation but they have said we may keep him as when they visited last fall, SJJ wasn't very comfortable around them like he used to be. They were sad, but they were also glad that he had bonded so well with us and our home of cats.

I first saw Shasta as a tiny kitten INSIDE a pepsi machine in our garage. I suspect she was on a field-trip with her mother and siblings and got separated from them and left behind in our garage.

Almost all of our cats came to us as adult ferals that I had to tame/socialize outside before bringing them in. A few were kittens I trapped and brought into my bathroom for intense taming and socializing. Some were skittish adult cats, or young cats who we suspect were dropped off and abandoned.
Other than Skippyjon, all of them chose us and allowed us to help them in some manner.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My husband and I decided we wanted to adopt two kittens together. I did a lot of online searching through PetFinder and various shelters. I found a shelter nearby that had a LOT of kittens, so I filled out their application online. At the time, we were interested in a pair of orange tabby brothers they had - one was an orange tabby, and the other was a lighter orange, sort of cream colored tabby. The next morning, one of their volunteers called. She is also a volunteer for a rescue group in the area, where the cats live in foster homes instead of in the shelter. She said that based on the personalities I said we wanted in the application, she had a few kittens living in a foster home that would be perfect for us. She said there was a 4 month old brother/sister pair that in particular would be perfect.

I didn't ask what color they were - I did NOT want a black cat (don't ask me why); that was my unspoken stipulation. Well, she sent a picture, and there they were - a black cat and a black and white cat. I decided we should give them a chance anyway.We visited the foster home a few days later. We were totally in love with Spencer almost instantly. He was just lounging around, rolling on his back in all sorts of strange positions, letting us rub his tummy. (He is THE most laid back, relaxed cat EVER, btw.) Lily was just plain gorgeous in person, and I was enthralled by Lily's motor purr, which started up the instant I touched her. (still does.) I also really liked her after hearing her foster mom's stories about her - how she was super cuddly with humans, but as a young kitten would swat away any other cats who got too close as she ate. (lol - now that we know her, doesn't surprise me one bit.) The foster mom said she was very active and athletic. As it turns out, Lily is pure mischievous independence with just the right amount of cute cuddliness, and we love her to pieces as well. :)

So, we took them home, and we've never looked back! The funny thing about my anti black cat views of before is that I now LOVE black cats. Lily just has the softest, shiniest fur, and she looks so beautiful and regal. And Spencer is our goofy, loving boy. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
one of my cats-cinders- was actually living in the storm drain next to our house so the first i saw of himm was 2 little kitten eyes staring at me, it sacred me at first i have to admit. and another ones-twin brothers fluffy and tiny- i got to witness their birth.that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What made me choose Shug... When I first went in, I was surrounded by cages on the walls, filled with kitties, ranging from her age, to full grown adults. A few were already adopted (like a large black cat with REALLY long fur... she was gorgeous).

They showed me which cage she was in, and when I went up to her and stuck my fingers into her cage, she instantly started rubbing against my fingers and began to purr! It was very shocking how fast she took to me and my family.

They left the room and told me to take whichever cat I wanted (except for the adopted ones), and bring them to the front desk, so they could get their shots, and I could fill out paperwork.

She's filled a place in my heart, and I love her to bits! But let me tell you... that car ride home was NOT fun. She hates that Pet Taxi. :p

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was visiting the animal shelter and I was looking my first cat, I wanted older because I wasn't sure on young cats or kittens at the time. I guess I rushed my decision but my cat Duke was near the back of the shelter in a room full of cages (they ran out of room!).. I picked him up and held him and he didn't try to scramble out of my arms or nothing, I went home that day and pondered if I should really get a cat or not. Went back the next day to fill out the application for him and one of the staff told me that someone filled out an application for him and it was approved - around 5-10 minutes later another staff member came out and when I inquired about Duke, they told me the persons landlord said 'no' to cats -- thus I got him.

Marley was a bigger decision and I knew what I wanted.. She was in a room with other cats and I sat down in a chair and she was the only one that hopped on my lap or even bothered to give me attention.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wrong question! :mrgreen: My family and me was adopted by Carter the cat. He followed us into the apartment and stayed for years.

After Carters death we searched a new fellow for Norbert. Long story...
When I saw a pic of Horst I felt in love - but what about Horst? I was afraid that he don´t want us as his new "parents". No prob! He loves us on first sight. :love2 His former owner was very happy that we took this "terrible, destructive baby-cat" with us. I remember that I thought: "And if the kitty would have 8 legs and red-blue checkered fur...I´ll take him with me!"
I love him so much - and he loves us. :heart

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Emma, was on her last few hours at the shelter,a scared dilute ball of fur.
Jolene, was in the bathroom when I came home from work! very tiny calico kitten..
Tami, was a ghost we had been seeing flashes of in the yard, the wildest of wildest.
Smokey, was proudly taking ownership of the yard, plus removing all the birds!!
Yeti, was held by my parents until we visited for thanksgiving, my mother opened the back door and in ran the little monster"see he loves coming in the house, and just look at those feet"

·
Banned
203 Posts
I first met Dagny when he was sitting in the middle of my yard on a hot day, meowing, hot, thirsty and skinny. He's no longer hot, thirsty, OR skinny, and he rarely meows. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a fun topic! :) Let's see, where to begin lol...

Izzy - she was my first attempt at fostering (and my first failure)! I knew a lady through a friend that had been TNR-ing cats for quite some time, and she had recently started up her new rescue. I volunteered to foster some kittens for her. She called me one day and said she had two kittens she needed a foster home for, so I headed over to her place. She had a shed set up in her backyard for her rescue (she calls it a shed but it's basically a miniature house). When I walked in there were Izzy and Emma, rolling around on the floor playing with one another. At the time I wasn't really a "cat person" per se, so I knew that there was no way I would get attached! It took a couple days, but I fell head over heels in love with Izzy. She is to blame for me going from a dog person to a crazy cat lady. Her sister Emma was adopted and is now the Queen of the house and has 8 doggy minions.

Phillip - I adopted him from the same rescue as Izzy. They come from the same colony, but are a year apart in age. I was visiting the lady that ran the rescue, who by this time had become a good friend of mine. We were once again in the "shed" visiting the adoptable cats when I heard this sound...I don't even know how to describe it other than to say it sounded like a mix of a choking duck and a demon lol. I turned around to try and see what the noise was coming from and there was this tiny, tiny little black kitten....his little body was so tiny and skinny and his head was soooooo big. His fur was nappy and looked really wiry, almost like a brillo pad, and he was hissing while running backwards and trying to hide. I know it sounds bad to say this, but my god he was an ugly little thing. He truly had a face only a mother could love. I told Sonya (the rescuer) "I love him. Can I adopt him?" She warned me that he was young but that he had already developed the feral cat mentality "People are not friends" and that he may never be a cuddly cat like Izzy. But I didn't care, it was love at first sight. Today he is the biggest, sookiest cat you'll ever meet, but only with a select few people. And he still sounds like a duck lol.

Miso - she is my furry soul mate. I did not choose her, she chose me. A friend of mine had taken in a stray cat and her very young litter of kittens. I was out visiting her and wanted to take a peek at the babies. I figured I was "safe" because I did not want another cat, no way, not in a million years, no matter what. She had a spare room that she was keeping the mom and babies in so that her resident pets wouldn't disturb them. My friend told me there were 4 kittens, but when we went in to the spare room there were 3 of them, a male with long hair that was white with grey patches, another male that was short haired and had tabby patches, and a female calico. I asked about the fourth and she told me that it was a female tortie, and that she was really shy and withdrawn and hid all the time. I got down on hands and knees and started looking for her but couldn't find her anywhere. My friend heard someone knocking on her front door and went to answer it and I stayed in the spare room to play with the kittens. About a minute later I saw this tiny head peek out of the closet. I was really quiet and moved over by the closet really slowly, saying "Hi pretty baby" very softly. She stayed where she was and just looked at me, but when I got too close for her comfort she backed up and vanished in to the closet. Over the next week or so I visited and the same thing happened, if I was in the room by myself the tortie kitten would come out and watch me. When the kittens were old enough to get their first vaccines the spare bedroom door was opened buy baby gated, so that they could come out and explore if they wanted. Whenever I would come for a visit, the little tortie, who they were calling Cali, would come out of the room, run right up to me, and crawl up my leg, crying the whole time. Everyone was shocked because when I wasn't there she just spent her time hiding. She liked to crawl right up my leg, my side, all the way up to my shoulder, and then she would just sit there like a parrot and purr. And I would say to her "I don't care how cute you are, I don't care what you do, I will not love you. I already have cats, I don't want anymore. I will not love you!" and she would purr and lick me. This went on for a few more weeks. Then one day my friend sent me a text saying she was finally uploading the cats to petfinder (or maybe another, similar site, I don't really remember) in the hopes that they'd get adopted. I instantly texted back "wait! I want the tortie! Don't post her!". To this day I still get teased about adopting the cat that I said no matter what, I will not love. She obviously chose me and I'm so glad she did :)

Finally, Cody - I adopted him from the same rescue as Izzy and Phillip. I saw him on Facebook and just instantly fell in love. I wasn't looking for another cat, didn't really have a desire to have another cat, I saw pictures on Facebook all the time of cute cuddly kittens and was never really tempted. But I saw him and that was it. I texted a picture of him to my boyfriend and said "Pretty please?". I was sure he'd say no and that would be the end of it, but he said "okay". I was at work but called the rescue right away and said "Don't adopt that cat!" and we went to see him that night, and we brought him home.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts