Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I don’t know if this thread is in the right place but I have never had a cat and have a few questions before I adopt one. I have a dog, I have already researched how to introduce cats and dogs but I have one last concern:

Doors are often left open around my house for my dog to come in and out (he doesn’t like doggy doors) is there a way to keep a cat from escaping? My neighborhood is full of coyotes. Based off my neighbors’ experiences, If the cat darts out of a door it won’t come back. Are my expectations of a cat staying inside a house unrealistic when it comes to cat ownership? Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
26,381 Posts
I think you'll have to keep the doors closed and just let the dog out when he wants out, and watch out for the cat. Cats do come back sometimes, but not always and much less likely with coyotes around.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I agree with the other responses. Only get a kitty if you can guarantee your little ones safety by keeping it inside 100%. It would be devastating and cruel if it was killed by a predator. It will happen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I adopted my cat Boo-Boo from a cat rescue organization that kept groups of cats in rooms in a house. (He was 3 years old at the time, and had lived there since he was a kitten.) They trained their cats not to even try to leave their rooms by first allowing them to poke their noses out a slightly opened door, at which time they would be sprayed with water from a squirt bottle held by someone who was stationed outside the room.

I don't know how many sessions it took to dissuade these cats from trying to leave their rooms, or how often the training had to be reinforced, but I know that it worked. For several weeks after Boo-Boo got to my house, he wouldn't cross over the threshold of an open doorway. He would sit and just look into the next room We had to carry him from one room to another for a few days. Eventually, of course, he figured out that walking through doorways was allowed in our house.

If I were doing this in your situation, along with the spraying of water, I'd have the person outside shake a metal can holding a few pebbles or spray a can of compressed air, since cats really don't like either of those sounds.

You'd still need to keep exterior doors closed, though. If your floor plan allows it, it would be best to have your dog go in and out of the house through two doors that would both be kept closed, like through a laundry or mud room. That way, if the cat slipped through the first doorway, you could put him back in the house before opening the outside door for the dog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As has been suggested your option should be to train your dog to let your dog alert you when he needs to go out. Seems unfair to risk the cats life just to keep the dog fem having to alert you. Sorry but there's no safe answer otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts