Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting Sam and Felix into the vet next week. I work 10 hour days so it is hard to sched appointments. They are 12 weeks old this week. The person I got them from was most likely a BYB. I work with her daughter and she knew I was looking to get my daughter a cat. And she knew I loved siamese. The only reason I agreed was because this was the last litter. They got the mom spayed.Yay!

Every time ask her to confirm they got their first set of shots and which ones specifically, I never get an answer. I only paid $ 50 for each kitten and that was for the shots. I would pay that twice as they appear well bred and no health or behavioral issues.

Should I just assume they didn't get them and start the whole schedule now?

What vaccines and tests are recommended? They will be indoor kitties only.

What should I have the vet look for and what should I ask? I always forget important things until it's too late. But if it's all on my phone, I might remember. lol

Thanks. I love this site. Everyone is so nice and helpful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh, that's frustrating. I'd say, since you have no record of what, if any, shots they have, it's probably best to assume they haven't had any. I'm sure your vet will be able to advise, if you explain the situation.

Which shots and tests are required/recommended varies from region to region...but he/she will know which your cuties need. Indoor only will let you get away with fewer tests, etc. in the long run, I think...but I'm pretty sure all babies get the same stuff, regardless.

Under the circumstances, I'd definitely be sure they at least do a fecal float, to make sure there are no parasites on board. I'm sure others here will have some more insightful suggestions. ;)

Enjoy! It's always fun to take your babies in to be admired by the office staff. Hopefully they're the adventurous type that doesn't mind a little adventure. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They can be jittery, but I think they will be ok. So I should take in poo samples? I am concerned about parasites as there poo is rank! Lol and it seems they are in there a lot. They also drink tons of water. I feed grain free wet and leave a little grain free dry out as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks. They can be jittery, but I think they will be ok. So I should take in poo samples? I am concerned about parasites as there poo is rank! Lol and it seems they are in there a lot. They also drink tons of water. I feed grain free wet and leave a little grain free dry out as well.
Yeah, I'd go ahead and bag fresh samples to take along if you can. I think the vet can "get" a sample at the office, but the cats won't enjoy that process one bit, and a whole sample will give a more thorough test. ;)

Oh, how I understand rank poo... :patback If your boys turn out to be worm free, I'd be interested in hearing what your vet says about the poo thing!

:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
If they are going to be indoor only, I would be very careful of over-vaccinating. I only get the distemper and rabies (which is state law). Sucks that you don't really know if they already received their first shots. Luckily for us, our breeder provided the paper work from their vet regarding vaccinations.

I just found a new vet for our new kitten and she is also against over-vaccinating.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well a few days ago her daughter said that they got de-wormed and 2 shots. One of them was a combo shot. She couldn't tell me what any of them were though. Any ideas? I'm not big on unnecessary vaccines, but I want to do what is best for them. We are absolutely in love with them already. Although Sam goes by many names. The only one I can post is Lucifer. Lol Gotta love the kitten stage.

So what tests are recommended? I'm concerned because I now realize the people I got them from know nothing about caring for animals. I have corrected my friend numerous times. Thanks to the knowledge I've learned from here. And common sense. Like she about freaked when I told her I planned on feeding wet and that I used to feed our dog raw. And she was recommending Hartz products to someone. They aren't bad people, just think that the minimal is good enough.

Also, what age is recommended for neuter? I know they can do it at 4 months. Is there any benefits or risks to doing it that early?

Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Probably Felovax......?

For subcutaneous vaccination of healthy cats 8 to 10 weeks of age or older, as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by feline rhinotracheitis, calici, panleukopenia viruses and feline Chlamydia psittaci. The vaccine contains one additional feline calicivirus strain isolated from one hemorrhagic calicivirus outbreak that occurred in 1998 and was shown to protect vaccinated cats against calicivirus-induced hemorrhagic disease in controlled vaccination challenge experiments.

That is what our kitten came with (along with a dewormer), which I assume is standard for kittens.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Regarding the neutering, our breeder said to have it done at 5-7 months. The vet said to try and wait until 6-7 months because most people do it too early. I'm not sure about what the impact is if done too early without researching.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Kimberly. Your Sumo was gorgeous and Yoshi is adorable! Felix, my seal pt, is acting all jealous and in my face because I OOHED. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts