Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember how I got started on this RAW feeding??? being flat broke and deciding to feed them fish I can get for nothing until you all kindly sent me in the right direction?

I can still get dorado heads for nothing so would one fishy meal a week be too often???? the reason I ask is that Dorado is rich with fish oil ....

:wink:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Thanks Muzby , when I tell them however ill blame you :wink:

·
Registered
709 Posts
LOL Carol!

Fine, twice a month. :p

You know the dogs can have fish more often, though. It's just the cats that shouldn't have it very much.. our dog LOVES fish.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris have you ever heard of the annual sardine run we have here ???? well im on the coast and they sometimes beach in the millions :D ....

The doredo's are a huge game fish that go after the sardines ..

So raw fish is okay ??what about the bones ?? The few times I have given them fish I have cooked it .

·
Registered
18 Posts
chris10 said:
I feed my cats raw sardines once a week. No problems
Are you mean the whole fish, including the fish bones, head, tail, etc.... Can they handle those tiny sharp bones?

I usually feed just salmon, which is not bone, but meat and skin only.

·
Registered
458 Posts
No I haven't heard of the run but I bet its an awesome site to see.

Raw fish is a debated topic just like pork. Some of the common fears of raw fish are that fish contains thiaminase which destroys thiamin (Vitamin B-1). They may contain parasites, especially if you feed the whole fish. They may contain heavy metals and with the fish higher in the food chain containing more. This is more of a problem for cats eating a low moisture diet but fish contains high amounts of the minerals associated with urinary crystals. Vitamin E deficiency because fish is low in E. There may be more but that's all I can think of.

We try to feed a variety of things. IMO the only thing that can't be avoided by feeding a variety are parasites. With one,and possibly two meals, of fish a week IMO there is a small chance that they will develop a problem listed above. With the rest of the week possibly consisting of 13 meals of meat, which contains thiamin, the possibility of a deficiency is reduced. Heavy metals may be hard to get away from but feeding just once a week with fish lower on the food chain should help reduce the chance of becoming a problem. Vitamin E is found in meat, liver, and fat.

To really run in to these problems you would have to feed a lot of fish. But I feel if we limit it to just a small portion of the diet we shouldn't see any of these problems.

The sardines I get are just frozen whole. And my monsters make short work of them. The only ones they don't like too much are large sardines. They won't eat them unless I descale. And then they leave part of the head and tail. With the smaller sardines everything goes down the hatch. Fish Fridays are defiantly smelly days

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Carol, since Doredo is a large predatory fish, mercury is much more of a concern than it is with small fish like sardines and smelt. I don't think I'd risk feeding it more than once or twice a month.

Laurie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts