Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if I can add some fish based foods to my cats rotation? Like salmon, herring, shrimp?
Since switching my babies to an all grain free wet diet I have only been successful with two kinds which is the wellness sliced and minced chicken and turkey varieties and earthborns shredded chicken.
Problem is this: I have one very picky eater and I knew this would happen; he is refusing to eat these now where before he gobbled it up. I know he's okay because as soon as I shook the treat bag he came running and ate those. The ones I put on his food plate on his food he ate but then left the food. I've tried all the other grain free brands........and I do mean ALL of them. So I think I need to add to this rotation of turkey and chicken for variety.
Does anyone feed some of the fish based ones regularly and do they experience any issues and also if it is okay to throw in one fish, how often can I do this?
Fish may not be ideal. But if a cats not eating; that's not ideal either.
Please flood me with advice. I am so frustrated!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have tried Meenu on Tiki Cat's mackeral and sardine wet food. She liked it but I think it looks a little gross, and fishy. I had her on a tuna pate and salmon pate when I first switched her to wet food and she loved it! My vet actually suggested things that were NOT chicken, so the second biggest variety I found were fish based wet foods (whitefish, salmon, tuna, etc).

Although I know there are concerns out there about fish in a cats diet, I am not quite sure what those concerns are, hopefully other posts will enlighten me! Right now I have got her on merricks cowboy cookout, Hounds& Gatos rabbit, and Nature's Variety Dck, she loves them all! And every once in a while I throw in a fish based wet food to keep her interested.

I say (as long as you dont solidly switch to fish based), why the heck not??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what Im thinking, that I need to throw one in there to keep him interested.
There are more fish based wet foods than anything else so it really narrows my choices when (A) all three of cats refuse to eat pate, PERIOD! And (B). I've tried all the other grain free on pate choices of different brands and I get a total thumbs down as they turn their backs on me and walk away.
Totally frustrated! If this is as good as it gets then I'll have to consider dry again.
On dry all three of them would eat the same food everyday for three years without issue.
I'm just trying to be a good cat mommy.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I let my cats eat Wellness chicken and herring or turkey & salmon (less often) for two of their meals in a week.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I feed ET "Burp salmon in gravy" once a week, its chunky pieces of salmon meat. He also gets between 4-6pcs of Evo Salmon and Herring kibbles added into his wet food everyday, just to entice him to eat. But I usually won't add kibbles 1st unless he sniff his wet food and go, then I will add kibbles. I will also feed him Acana Pacifica (fish based), approx 1tbs, whenever he gets hungry in between his meal time. I do not know yet if he will get into trouble with eating fish based kibbles daily as I have had him only 10.5mths.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Just to add, I do feed the strays fish based canned food on a daily basis too. The more economical canned food and literally all brands, are all fish based and 4 of the strays will only eat wet, no kibbles, so its fish based canned everyday. Had been feeding them that for nearly 2yrs, I still do not know if they get steatitis, guess its still too early to tell?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that link. And your right, it only mentions tuna. I don't know if I understood it correctly? Were they saying people tuna is bad for cats but cat food tuna is okay? Not sure if I was reading that right?
By the way, the place I usually buy my higher end cat food from just got in some new weruva today and ready for this: a steak flavor and a beef and chicken flavor. Very excited about this.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I feed no fish to my cats, ever, and always advise against it. Risk of heavy metals, too high in histamines (which provoke allergic reactions) too high in certain minerals (because of the bones) which can cause urinary tract issues, and one last reason, some cats, once they eat it, will refuse to eat anything else.

My advice is, eliminate the treats, and feed three canned meals a day, continue to try different foods in the rotation.

Use the treats ONLY for incentive, by crushing one into power and dusting it over the canned food, but only do that after offering the food without the bribe, first.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Seriously, dunno what is safe to eat now, be it cats/dogs or even human food. Nearly all mammals on earth are hormone raised too. Vegetables are laden with pesticide etc. Go organic? not unless I am filthy rich.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This has some good information regarding fish:

Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat
Thank you for the link. I've actually read that before which is why I haven't included fish in their diet. But it's been a while, so re-reading that has helped.

Snowy: I know what you mean. "don't eat this, don't eat that, don't use this, stay away from that!". It's enough to drive you crazy! I guess the key to most things are moderation..............except if your talking about me and chocolate! I love me some chocolate!!!!!!!!!:D

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll keep searching for more foods.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, my cats get some fish - it is part of a natural diet in the wild and mine love it! Lottie who has way the most sensitive stomach in the house is never sick after fish but on the other hand, my sister had a cat who was allergic and would vomit if given any. If we started following every, often contradictory warning about food - both for pets and ourselves - we'd end up all starving to death!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Actually fish isn't part of a "natural diet" for our cats. Domestic cats are hunters, not fishers, and are descended from desert animals, there is no fish in the desert. :)

But as you say, anything in moderation should be okay. I just see no need to feed them fish at all, since it really isn't very good for them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Just to add that over the years the cat species has evolved to vary so wildly, that any generalised really applygeneralisation about them doesn't really apply. Scottish wildcats eat a fair amount of fish as so do Florida Fishing Cats while I am sure other strands of the family do not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think one of the best words said so far was "moderation"! And that yes, we would probably all starve if we stayed away from the things we should stay away from, either that or die of boredom in our diets!

Since I was advised AWAY from poultry at first, it REALLY cut my choises down. No chicken, no turkey, and even beef they said would be a little worriesome. So whitefish and tuna was what I found.

Now it's not an allergy thing for Meenu anymore, so turkey and duck went back on the menu. Now its turkey, duck, and rabbit.

I am going to take a look at those links now and educate myself on this whole "fishy" situation heh.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think one of the best words said so far was "moderation"! And that yes, we would probably all starve if we stayed away from the things we should stay away from, either that or die of boredom in our diets!
Yea! I second "moderation" too. Even the "good" things, if over consumed can turn bad. My hubby loves mushroom and I'm sure you all know its good. He used to eat so much mushroom, he developed gout and have to abstain now. But of course, mushroom is not the only culprit, he is someone who will eat lots of the so-called good stuff. The many so-called good or better food can sometimes become back after some years, take for example margarine. Didn't those scientists say margarine is a better option to butter? Now? Margarine is the culprit to the many heart condition cos it contains trans fatty acid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts