Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I was cleaning my fish tank. Once I was done, I noticed that the filter intake had fallen off and so I put it back on. Later that evening we all noticed a strange sound coming from the filter suddenly and it wasn't working correctly. So I took it apart to see if the motor was jammed and upon taking apart the casing I found the body of my 7 inch black ghost knife fish twisted and mutilated in the filter motor :-( He must have swam into the intake tube when it had fallen off- it is in this species nature to do so- and I didn't notice when I reattached it, ensuring his imminent doom.

I feel absolutely horrible. I know it's "just a fish" but I am very fond of all my fish, especially him. He was beautiful, and I've had him for such a long time. I hand fed him every day and he would let me stroke his sides, and curiously investigate my fingers. I loved watching the grace and flow of his eerie but unique swimming style, and his strange but endearing antics as he made his way about his daily business in the tank. I couldn't sleep at all last night because of what I've done, just thinking of the horrible death I must have caused for him. I feel like this is 100% my fault and it's going to haunt me for a long time.

Here is a picture of my beautiful black ghost knife fish "Phantom". I apologize for the poor quality- it is hard to get a clear picture of him because he is in perpetual motion. RIP Phantom, you were not deserving of this untimely demise. You were supposed to continue to grow and thrive, and live to your full potential of 20 + inches and 10 + years, but now that won't be happening thanks to me :cry:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Awww...that's a shame. Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't do anything wrong on purpose. I too had a fish die on me because I did something wrong and I felt bad. I'm obviously not as close to my fish as to my cats, but still I hate to see any living thing suffer or die. All that said, there's really nothing you can do at this point, other than to forgive yourself.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I feel your pain, I once dropped a rock while I was cleaning the tank on one of my favorite guppies and the poor guy died a day later. :( Yes I don't feel for fish the way I do my Beautiful Bengal Boys, but they were dependent on my care and I enjoyed watching them play.

I recently dismantled and sold my fish and tanks because I didn't have the time and energy to care for them as they needed to be cared for. I realized this when I came home from vacation to discover 3 of my loaches had died because the tank heaters went on the fritz. I then sold my 4 HUGE yoyo loaches and gave the rest to my sister. That was a sad day.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the sympathy you guys. I'm just finding this hard to cope with because of the fact that I'm the one who caused his death, when he was so healthy and happy... it was just not meant to happen! :-( That's what's got me so upset- the feeling of guilt and responsibility.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
Poor Phantom. He was beautiful. Well, now he's at the Bridge with all our Bridge Kitties and....

Oh. Probably not best to think of him there.....:shock:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for the sympathy you guys. I'm just finding this hard to cope with because of the fact that I'm the one who caused his death, when he was so healthy and happy... it was just not meant to happen! :-( That's what's got me so upset- the feeling of guilt and responsibility.
Don't beat yourself up too badly ((HUGS)) It was an accident. I'm sure you will learn from this and never reattach a filter pipe before checking it for any hiding fish. You are not a fish murderer. ((HUGS))

Is that a Loach I spy in the upper right of the picture? I <3 Loaches.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Poor Phantom. He was beautiful. Well, now he's at the Bridge with all our Bridge Kitties and....

Oh. Probably not best to think of him there.....:shock:
Oh, no! I say he swam down the Rainbow Stream to the great pond in the sky to be with all the other fishes.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Awww. *huggle-pat*
I agree, Ghost Knives are fascinating! Almost got one myself, then figured it was too complicated to care for it properly.

I always pictured the Rainbow Bridge ending at a land that's got meadows, forests, rivers/streams, lakes, deserts, swamps and whatever else ANY pet might need.

I'm gonna have lots of traveling to do in the next life...I've had so many types of pets that require different environments.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raecarrow- that's my Yoyo loach! :) I also have Dojo Loaches and Kuhli Loaches too! I LOVE loaches as well, they are such personable, unique fish.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. After a day of school to occupy myself, I have recovered a bit from the shock and horror. I like to think he's at the Rainbow Bridge in one of the many wonderful streams there, with lots of hiding places and all the blood worms he can eat.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I miss my Yoyo Loaches. Mine were all 5 inches and bigger when I sold them.

Here is a vid where you can see some of the loaches I had.

All the Yoyo's that you see in this vid were the ones I eventually sold. they got even bigger than you see here.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll watch the vid when I get home, my computer at school won't play it! I can't wait... like I said, I love loaches. I never knew Yoyos got so big! Mine is only 2 inches at the moment...

Andrew surprised me yesterday by secretly going out and buying me a new fish for Valentine's day <3 He's so thoughtful! :) I spotted him in there and it was quite exciting. Andrew got a BROWN ghost knife, that way, he said, I wouldn't feel that I was quite replacing Phantom because the new one is different looking but still very similar too. I named him Voltaire :-D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'll watch the vid when I get home, my computer at school won't play it! I can't wait... like I said, I love loaches.
I only had one Yoyo originally. The brown striped loach you see towards the end of the vid (Troll the Zebra Loach) was my first loach. He always hid so I got my first yoyo (Spaz) to be his buddy because I had the HARDEST time finding another zebra loach. I ended up buying 4 more yoyos (one died by getting tangled in some floating plants I had :( ) to make a group. Loaches are social fish, not quite as dependant on company as schooling fish but they are much more active when they have 3-4 of their own kind about them.

A GREAT resource for loaches is Loaches Online - Community Edition — Loaches Online

And their forum is just as nice and knowledgable as this one. Though you et some fish nazis on there that don't think you should own loaches unless you have a state of the art river tank (which would be nice to have, but is impractical in most cases). However, I do agree with them that you can't keep large fish in a small tank. Loaches Online Forum • Index page

I never knew Yoyos got so big! Mine is only 2 inches at the moment...
Just be glad you didn't get clown loaches. They can get to be a foot or more long.

Andrew surprised me yesterday by secretly going out and buying me a new fish for Valentine's day <3 He's so thoughtful! :) I spotted him in there and it was quite exciting. Andrew got a BROWN ghost knife, that way, he said, I wouldn't feel that I was quite replacing Phantom because the new one is different looking but still very similar too. I named him Voltaire :-D
That was really sweet of him :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Aww!! Sorry to hear that. :( The pictures make me want to throw up >< Maybe he died because of stress?? Still R.I.P Fishy.

But when my new cat comes, I'll always treat the fish the same as I treat my cat Nephews.

@raecarrow: Your loaches are adorable!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@konstargirl: Which pictures? The one I posted was when he was alive XD The black ghost knife is a very unique looking fish!

@raecarrow: still waiting on the video, I have to use Andrew's computer to view it. I've done a lot of research on loaches, and my yoyo is the only one that doesn't have a friend. At the time he was the only one at the shop, and I've actually been meaning to get him a companion soon. He's extremely active nonetheless, I believe he thinks he is a cory catfish, as he is almost ALWAYS hanging around with my 6-cory school. My dojo loaches are a pair, as are my black kuhli loaches, and my striped kuhli loaches too. I have a 4 foot long tank, and everyone, including my shark catfish, has plenty of space. I've actually browsed that loach forum before, just never joined! I know what you mean about clown loaches, and I have never gotten them for that very reason!

Artemis [back] & Apollo [front], my dojo loaches

My Yoyo Loach creatively named Yoyo

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My Yoyo Loach creatively named Yoyo
Actually, I think you have a juvenile Botia Kubotai or a polka-dot loach.
Don't worry they get mixed up with Yoyos and Angel loaches all the time. Honestly, fish stores don't really know what they have. Yoyos look completely different, they have a YoYo pattern running down their sides (hence the name). Your guy doesn't have this.

Beware, Polka-dot loaches have a lower temperature range than the Yoyos do. I had a heater break and go on overload and heated my tank up to 95 degrees. All my other Loaches survived but it killed my Polka-dot loaches.

They actually look quite stunning when they get older.

Their markings develop as they age.
Botia kubotai - Development of Markings During Growth — Loaches Online

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You learn something new every day! I have a pretty nice heater, I replace mine every 6 months because I am afraid of just that very thing happening. I had a heater fail on me, came back from vacation to a very very cold tank. It stressed my fish out so bad that they all developed ich. Luckily I was able to treat them and didn't lose anyone, but I definitely learned my lesson about cheap heaters.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't have any loaches, although I've thought about getting a clown loach. I didn't realize they could grow to be 12 inches! I'm glad I now know, since that would be too big for my little tank. I shall stick to guppies and platys!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts