Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the Raw Food forum. Apparently fish is bad for cats. I already knew that Tuna is, both because of the mercury and other stuff that's bad (something about no Taurine and some sort of B1 deficiency, etc.)
I go fishing a lot, so I wondered if it would be okay if I shared with my kitties.

I assume the trout have no mercury, as they were raised in a local hatchery before being "planted" in the city ponds. The catfish, as far as I know, come from the South USA... I think they're also farm raised, but I'm not totally sure.
Also, if I were to feed it, should I give it raw and only cook the stuff I'll eat, or can my kitties eat cooked stuff?

·
Banned
18 Posts
Yes it's fine to treat them, if you're worried you should freeze them for a while to kill parasite.
I feed mine raw/dehydrated fishes without an issue, it won't pose a problem as long it does not make up a majority of their diet.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
It's not "bad" per se. A little is fine for most cats. A diet HEAVY on fish can cause problems, and cats w/ known urinary tract issues should avoid fish. But a little is certainly fine, and a good source of omega 3s. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts