Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about wet food.

I have heard that too much fish is not good for cats. I have set my cats up on a system where they get fowl 2 days, then fish one day. A lot of cats seem to develop a taste for fish and then when they get older will not eat chicken or turkey etc. I am doing everything I can to try to insure that as my cats get older, they will not get picky. Some people that come into my store to buy food say that their cats will not eat anything but a few selected flavours of Fancy Feast (YUUUCK!).

I give my cats either half each of a 3 oz can, or a quarter each of a 5 oz can every night. They look forward to this and are ALWAYS at the door or in the window sill waiting for me to get home. So far, they haven't turned their noses up to anything I have put in front of them. They only get top brand foods like Wellness, Innova, Evolve, Felidae, Newman's Own, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack and Nutro Natural.

Should I be feeding more fowl than fish????

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi maleke-

We feed our guys both wet and dry. They get the wet when were home, and snack on the dry during the day. Right now the dry is Chicken Soup Light. The wet that we feed them is usually turkey or chicken (deli meat....like what you make a sandwich out of). They love it, but the deli workers think we are crazy for feeding that to *cats*. I'm not really keen on fish. This is just my personal opinion. I have been hearing lots on the news lately about high mercury levels in tuna. That just kind of scares me.

That being said, it sounds logical to me what you are trying to do. It's probably all good. I think Angel Zoo is pretty knowledgeable about food, see if she has any comments. Not to be disgusting, but out of curiosity, does the fish make their bathroom trips more smelly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've heard that for some reason fish cat food has a higher ash or something content that can cause long term urinary tract complications. I just feed my kitties beef or chicken flavored cat food and sometimes StarKist canned tuna fish. Dr. Jean should be able to clerify this.

*paging Dr. Jean, paging Dr. Jean* =)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Fish is so smelly, I feed my cats more of the beef, chicken and turkey. On occasion I give them tuna like once a week. :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm feeding them cans containing some fish for last week or so just to switch the food (not too much choise for kitten food!). I also heard Dr.Jean saying the fish is not very good. I'm not planning giving them fish for a long time...just few weeks and then switch again. I noticed the poo smells little bit more than when I was giving them cans containing chicken. In about a month they will be fixed and on adult food - there are more choices of adult food and I won't probably give them fish no more (just ocassionally). Yey! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts