Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I have a black long haired cat named Beowulf, who is incredibly sweet. I found him when he was 3 days old, and had been abandoned by his mom. I adopted him, and bottle fed him for weeks back to health. He has rewarded me by being loving and caring, and thinking I am his mom (and I'm a male).

Well, enough with the intro- sadly, Beowulf has FIV, and my vet has prescribed Interferon. My research shows this treatment has been proven to help, but it may be the best out there. My problem is, I have to administer it via a syringe into his mouth, and he HATES it. I can never get it into his mouth, even wrapped up in a towel. Any suggestions for a way to get him his meds?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I have watched my kitten get a liquid deworming medication administered by the vet and she told me that it's easier to slowly squeeze it through the side of their mouth. You don't even have to open their mouth very far to do it. More like lifting up the side of their lip and then just shooting it through the hole like space between the teeth...

Maybe this would work :?:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Also, if you cat likes treats, maybe be sure to give him a treat after each dose so he learns to associate this grueling task with something more pleasant!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts