Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a second cat.

I found one from a local rescue, however, when they did a vet reference check, we've never done a FIV check so they won't let me adopt him.

Gadget was too young at the time of adoption to get tested. The vet said he had to be at least 6 months to get tested. Some online sources say to wait at least 9 months.

Gadget is an indoor cat, has only had contact with cats where I got him, plus the gf's mothers cats (got both their cats at the same place).

How much of a stink should I raise? Or should I just suck it up and get the test?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Get The Test

By all means, get the test. A snap test at the vet's office for FIV and FeLV is pretty darn affordable, and you have the results within seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
I would just go ahead and get him tested. My vet charges $42 for a FeLV/FIV SNAP test. It's worth knowing their status. It's a simple blood drawing and waiting 10 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I had the test done a few years ago and wasn't very expensive if I recall

It came back negative and it's good to know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Made the appt bright and early Saturday Morning.

He already was tested for FeLV at the shelter.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top