Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 year old fixed male Rocky. He has been acting strange towards our fixed female Lixsy. Every afternoon around the same time he will follow her, lay at the base of her tail, put it between his paws and sniff her butt. She mostly just lays there until he does it too long and then she will start warning him and eventually attack him.

They are not close nor do they groom each other but they will lay close and hang out together. We have another fixed male that she is very close with and they spend hours grooming each other. The males in our home keep their distance.

Rocky normally stays completely to himself except for this new behavior following her around like this. Anyone else seen a cat do this? I can't find any info on the net about it.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Cats are funny at times....often they like to be the sniffer, but not the sniffee! What is different here is that this is a "new behavior" for Rocky, especially since he usually keeps to himself and hasn't shown interest to the extent of following Lixsy around. What I do know about cats is that they have a very high ability to smell different scents (almost as well as a dog). Dogs can detect an odor of cancer in people. So maybe Lixsy is giving off a different scent. Most cats are very good at picking up when it's owner is sick or unwell, and whether it's a scent or a vibe, don't really know, but for last few days I'm having painful back spasms, and both my cats are even more cuddly than usual. Have you noticed anything that may be "off" with Lixsy---change in bowel movements, change in her attitude (her reaction to Rocky is perfectly normal when he sniffed her bottom), eating habits, amount she eats or sleeps or activity levels? If something has changed significantly with her, then a trip to her vet for a checkup may be a good idea.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. There is no change in anything at all I can see. She is eating normal, sleeping etc. I will check out those links.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts