Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking care of semi-feral cat since he was a kitten. Due to his early life he's allergic to fleas. I've used topicals (Advantage. etc), but is there something I can add to his food or a food recipe that will help prevent/alleviate infestation. Any suggestins would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
No, there is no natural substance that will repel fleas or keep them from biting him. Lots of things have been tried (including garlic and essential oils, both of which have a high risk of toxicity in cats), but nothing is completely effective. Unfortunately, Advantage and Frontline are the only sure-fire preventives.

That being said, many people have reported a major decrease if not elimination by putting the animal on a balanced raw homemade diet. If you are interested in this, please visit this article to get you started:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=014

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks to Dr. Jean and BioSuperFood, my cats allergies are well under control :D

My VERY good vet thought that my cat, Tulsi, had flea allergies, but Tulsi had always been kept on Advantage. My vet said as little as one bite can cause the cat to break out! I got an ultimatum...keep her on cortisone for the rest of her life, or do nothing. Well I wasn't going to give her drugs for life, and I certainly didn't want her to keep going though the pain of nasty sores on her body!

I have since changed to an all-wet diet, and have been giving BioSuperFood every day to Tulsi. Her sores are healing up and growing hair over them! Her coat has also become much nicer, and there seems to be less shedding. Plus, BSF is cheaper than cortisone...YAY!!!

Take Care,
Abhay

P.S. My vet said that right now, they are still in the "testing" mode of skin scrapping for cats to test for allergies. There really is no true way to know what the allergies are from. It may be from food, mosquitoes, etc. I would say put the cat on an all canned diet, and see how that goes. He may be allergic to grains or something like that in the dry food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts