Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy Tesla had his first vet trip today and came out better than I was expecting for an abandoned cat, It was obvious he had worms since he is about 8 weeks and only 3lbs. He is now deworming which freaks me out! About how long does it take for the tape worm to be fully digested (I know that he has to get another treatment in 3 weeks to rid the eggs that may be there) Also if I do not catch all the segments that he passes, can they cause any further harm? I have been sweeping the room his has been in all day.

Secondly he was treated with Revolution at the vet, however this afternoon after I got home, I noticed a flea on him, I was able to get it off but I had to go to work. When I got home I inspected him closely for about 2 hours and found 3 more fleas, I got 2 of them but the third escaped. Does Revolution take care of grown fleas or only eggs?

Also I have kept him in the utility room all evening (where he stays while I am away and where his toys are, and he has been getting plenty attention) but I didn't want him out and about while I was cleaning. Is Raid Flea killer safe to use? I see that it has less than .2 permethrin which .1 and less is considered safe for cats. I am washing all my rugs now and plan to give them a Boric treatment after they dry, is that safe to do as long as I vacuum it completely before he has any contact whatsoever?

Lastly, what is the best way to get the remaining grown fleas off of him? Any tips?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
My little guy Tesla had his first vet trip today and came out better than I was expecting for an abandoned cat, It was obvious he had worms since he is about 8 weeks and only 3lbs.
His weight is pretty good! My girls were barely 2 lbs. at 8 weeks.

When my girls had fleas, I treated them with meds from my vet, sprayed the carpet and vacuumed it, and washed clothes and bedding, again and again. I used pet-safe carpet treatment and sprays. My first instinct is to say "no" to Raid.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's one cute kitten. I'm partial to the tuxes.

Revolution is good stuff. Kills the adults as I understand. Eggs? You're on the right track. Good on ya.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Roxie was 3.1 pounds at her 12 week appointment, and the vet said that was a fine weight. And she doesn't look thin and eats all the time.

It sounds as if you are on top of the cleaning deal, but just be sure to scoop the poop asap after he goes bc if he digs in the litterbox and gets a little poo on his paws and then licks his paws...he has ingested more worms.

I was afraid to use any flea medication on Roxie bc she was so little when I got her, so I gave her a bath with Dawn soap and then used a flea comb to comb out fleas and eggs.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts