Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week we had a major flea infestation. Yes, I know all our guys are indoor only cats but apparently we tracked them in (neighbor has 12 yappy dogs). I treated everybody with Revolution & the house has been treated & I'm in-process of shampooing everything. The issue is Bentley has major flea bite irritation - red itchy & inflamed. Does anybody have a remedy for the itch? I've been applying a very greasy ointment from the vet but it does nothing for the itch. Poor guy is scratching himself raw. Do you think a oatmeal bath (works for humans & poison ivy and horses & scratches) might give him relief?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, the only thing similar I'm aware of is a pine tar based soap. Are you in UK or US? That may make a difference on finding Pinetarsol or a similar product.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Calendula works on cats and won't harm them. I use it on Gracie when she has a bad bite or two. Also, there's an enzyme-based shampoo, "Enzymatic Rinse Skin Therapy for Pets" by Zymox brand, that is very good for healing sores or really damaged skin. Every once in a while Gracie will scratch her 'eyebrow' area with the tip of a claw. This stuff helps soothe it.

I would not use any tar products on cats, and absolutely stay away from tea tree oil, eucalyptus or anything astringent! Cats are not like dogs, they can't metabolize certain families of chemicals. I have read about kitties getting terribly ill from tiny amounts of tea tree oil, in particular - the oil ends up diffusing through their skin so the whole animal reeks and must be rushed to the hospital for treatment...

I hope this helps!

Fran

1 - 3 of 3 Posts