Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought my kitten was biting her fur to groom, but I was inspecting her healing spay incision and what do I see - a flea! I was able to get that one off and kill it. I know by the time you see a flea it's too late. Went to PETsMART and got HARTZ topical solution - suppose to kill the eggs as well as fleas, ticks, mosquitoes...well that was over 48 hours ago, I did see what looked like a dead tick on the bathroom floor, so it's working a little but I did find another flea on her which I wasn't able to get off in time due to her squirming then lost sight of the little bug.

I can't give her a flea bath yet because too soon after being spayed. But I know I need to do whatever it takes ASAP to prevent the **** fleas from laying more eggs.

Worried about the bathroom now too, hope I don't need to flea bomb the place! I will take all towels out and wash, maybe that will take care of em? Nothing else in bathroom now except litterbox, I did have a small scratching post - possible fleas lay eggs in box or on post too?

This HARTZ stuff is going right back to PETsMART - I know you can't get Advantage there because it's prescription, but can via mail order - just don't want to wait. PETsMART has this stuff - http://www.petsmart.com/merchandising/biospot2.shtml - kinda skeptical since it says will provide up to 6 months of flea control.

Maybe I'll just call the vet tomorrow and get Advantage if that's what everyone says is the best - What are you using for flea control?

FRUSTRATED! :evil: poor kitty probably thinks I'm punishing her taking away toys and towel comfort.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes take the Hartz stuff back and never touch it again! I still can't believe that stuff is still on the market! :evil:

Anyway, most flea controls that you are going to buy does not repeal fleas, it kills them after they've bitten the animal. It sounds like you have them in your house now and the big thing is to treat the house as well as your cat to get rid of them.

I haven't had a flea problem in years(Thanks to Frontline) so I'm not hip to the latest ways to treat the house. I'm sure someone else around here can help you with that though. :wink:

I use Frontline on my cats but would recommend Revolution or Advantage as being safe and effective flea controls. Frontline I have seen in some pet stores now, not sure about Petsmart selling them. I haven't seen Revolution or Advantage in pet shops but then again I'm not really looking for them. You may have to stop in at your vet and pick some up.

I would not go with the Biospot either. Just this year alone we've had a handful of cats rushed into the vet clinic where I work, seizing after having Biospot applied to them. Not every cat will have the same reaction but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
ralphcor, I suggest you and other members with this problem read this:

http://www.benderplace.com/allcreatures ... alerts.htm

It is one of many pages. There are pages and pages on google.com re lawsuits against Hartz Mountain. Like Jessica, I am shocked to discover that they are still selling that product.

·
Registered
265 Posts
:shock: Fabreze is bad for pets?! I use it around the house but I don't spray the dog beds because I don't mind if they smell like dog. I'm just shocked because I think the ASPCA endorses the product, don't they?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies! and - :shock: I about freaked when I read that product warning and story about cats having problems, this is the exact same stuff I bought! This HARTZ Advance Care is their "top of the line" stuff, there was also cheaper HARTZ that was half the price.

I'm so glad I posted to the forum instead of just running out and getting that Biospot. She didn't have problems with the HARTZ stuff, but Knowing my luck so far with kitten ownership she probably would've with Biospot, which would've resulted in another trip to the emergency vet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Jessica, I never heard anything negative about Febreze before. I used to use it myself.
I never have either until I read it on the page that you posted about the dangers of Hartz. I guess I should have made that more clear. :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I wasn't clear. I meant I didn't know it before I saw that site either! I love your signature! Do I dare ask your secret? (It probably wouldn't help me. I'm still trying to get an avatar!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I told you my secret, it wouldn't be a secret anymore, now would it? :D J/K

If you want I can see about having a Siamese signature made for you. :wink:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
{DISCLAIMER: Jeanie, the following opinion is not meant to cause any offense. I believe your main intent with the URL that you provided was in order to tell ralph about the dangers of HARTZ, but the bit about Febreze has ruffled my feathers...}

Y'know, I don't believe this about Febreze. According to the active ingredients list, it does NOT have zinc chloride in it. (I have a bottle sitting right next to me). If it did have zinc chloride, it would undoubtedly HAVE to be written on the bottle. This product is endorsed by the ASPCA (has their seal of approval) and if animals truely were dying because of it, the ASPCA would revoke their seal, I'm sure of it. As for HARTZ, yes, my vet has said they are horrible products - also the article cited in that link on HARTZ is much more credible than the article about Febreze, especially when it doesn't even contain zinc chloride.

Okay, I just did a search about Febreze and zinc chloride. Lemme post some links and stuff. Everything I have found says that this was an email rumor started in 1998.

Is Febreze safe to use around dogs and cats?
Yes, Febreze is safe to use around pets, including cats and dogs. Febreze is also safe to use on fabrics that come into contact with pets, such as fabric bedding and carpets. Febreze, like any cleaning product, should not be sprayed directly on a pet.
(It does recommend to use it carefully around birds though.)

What are the ingredients in Febreze?
Febreze is a water-based product whose primary active ingredient is a modified starch derived from corn, specially designed to eliminate a wide range of odors. The product also contains small amounts of perfume. There is no zinc chloride in the current Febreze formula, including Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator.
These are from:
http://www.homemadesimple.com/febreze/pets.shtml

Here is another quote:

PRODUCT SAFETY - FEBREZE

For years there have been rumors circulating the Internet and elsewhere that Febreze, an odor remover distributed by Proctor and Gamble, is dangerous to pets. Hundreds of laboratory tests by multiple organizations have since proven Febreze safe to use around dogs and cats. The chain letter circulating the Internet states that Febreze uses zinc chloride, which is 'very dangerous' to animals. The truth is while zinc chloride can be toxic in large amounts, it comprised less than 1% of the formulation of the product and is not considered to be a hazard, contrary to allegations in the email warnings. In addition, the Febreze formula stopped including zinc chloride in early 1998.
It is from:
http://www.peafowl.org/febreze.htm

I have now read a bunch of "reports" that say it ISN'T safe but I'm convinced it is an email hoax. The only "evidence" that I have read about it being harmful comes from supposed pet owners and people claiming that Procter & Gamble and the ASPCA are lying when they say it is safe. This is how I feel about it:

The aura of a Big, Nasty Plot against us little folk lurked behind many of the 'Net rumors that I've seen. The more popular consumer product health scares ("Toxic Tampons," "Sodium Laureth Sulfate," "Zinc chloride in fabric cleaners [i.e: Frebreze],") justify themselves, and a lack of corroborating information in the mainstream news, by way of asserting -- without any proof, mind you -- that there is a big, all-powerful conspiracy to hide the truth. Why aren't there any news stories? Well, Big Media is in cahoots with Big Business and Big Government, of course.
(The end statement is sarcasm, I hope it comes across properly..)

Y'know, I probably got this email in 1998 when it was circulating but I hit the trash button like I do with every other junk email I get. I am not one to trust big business. In fact, I am known to loathe it. But I do not believe that P&G has the ASPCA in its back pocket on this one.

P.S. That squirrely little smiley man appeared out of thin air when I previewed my message. I merely typed 3 asterix in a row and it revealed itself to me. I am not one to use smiley's but I'm gonna leave that funky little dancy man in my message just for fun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use Frontline plus on my pets. I've heard horror stories of Hartz causing damage to cat's central nervous systems and causing strokes.

http://www.petshed.com/default.asp Is a good place to buy flea treatments, I think you can even buy advantage...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Tanyuh, The information on Hartz Mountain flea and ticks was not the "main" reason I posted that link; it was my only intent. After sifting through over ten pages of court cases and alerts against Hartz, I chose the one with what I thought was the best presentation. I needed to post a link to make sure the site would not be sued for libel.

I paid no attention whatsoever to the other alerts. In fact, until Jessica mentioned it to me, I didn't know the Febreze alert was there. I think your complaint could justifiably be addressed to that site. I went back and checked, and saw that the date on that alert went back to 1998. I would be happy to have catman delete that post. There were hundreds of other alerts re Hartz Mountain, which was the subject I was addressing.

Quote:
Jessica, I never heard anything negative about Febreze before. I used to use it myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the vet early this morning, we decided on Revolution since it does worms & ear mites too. They also recommend Frontline - I was considering it since it does both fleas & ticks, and I'm not sure which my baby has? - well during the physical exam sure enough we found a lil bug and confirmed it was a flea not tick.

Things are looking better now. Got the 1st rabies and leukemia shot - next one in 3 weeks and she'll be up to date now until the yearly check-up and shots. Vet also said the spay incision is healing well and took out staples. Suggested to wear the e-collar 1 more day to finish the small staple holes then off it comes to see how it goes - have to monitor her to make sure she doesn't reopen it, again, because they said it can happen.

Total (normal) vet bill today including all shots was less than that emergency vet visit, so I'm pleased! They didn't even charge me for the Revolution flea stuff, considered a sample and will reinspect in 3 weeks when due for 2nd leukemia shot. Also got a almost 1lb bag sample of Eukanuba kitten food, have her on Nutro now and doing well, but hey it was free :lol:

All in all vets and everyone there were nice so it'll be our place to go from now on. They board em too, a lady was picking up her dog and seemed pleased so I'll consider if I ever need the service - if anyone around Charlotte NC reads this it's Steele Creek Animal Hospital.

Now where' that HARTZ stuff I need to take back! :evil:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I felt so bad about you having to take the little one to the emergency vet. The charge a fortune in comparison with other vets. I can only assume that they have to pay more to get people to work nights. I can't think of any other reason. In fact, their rates around here are so high, I don't think they can be justified at all. Maybe Jessica could shed some light on that subject.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whew! I am relieved to hear that Fabreze isn't so dangerous after all! I love that stuff!

Ralph, I'm glad to hear you had such a pleasent experience at the vets and everything checks out well with your kitty! Sounds like you found yourself a great vet espcially to give you a free sample of the Revolution.

As for the high emergency vet costs, I'm sure it has a lot to do with paying over night help. Also some emergency clinics have more medical equipment and more staff than a normal clinic so that adds to the cost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the 24-hour Animal Emergency & Trauma Center I went to that one night was nicer (cleaner & more professional) than some of the human hospitals I've been in! Before being seen I had to sign a form saying min. was $80. - 1st reaction was well her poor belly's wide open so just fix it, then 2nd was darn that money was suppose to adopt a playmate for her (well another for me too). The "pre-vet" (animal nurse?) that took basic check like temp, heart-rate etc. said I was #3 currently waiting, and I'm glad I didn't see any real emergencies while I was there like an animal coming in that just been hit by car or something.

Then this flea situation made me really think I just need to get the one I have now healthy first then I can worry about getting more, and the pound is always going to have some available.

The vet today was great, taking plenty of time to explain everything in detail. I went for main concern of fleas, and asked if shots could be given since so close to age/time? Of course mentioned the spay incision problem, they took a look and said looks good then took staples out w/o me asking to do it and wasn't on the final list of charges. Also showed me how and clipped nails for free and got a nice lil "kitty starter kit" w/a bunch of reading material on everything...too bad shelter doesn't do something like this, but I know it would add to the cost of adoptions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have lived in the country for the last 13 years with dogs and cats. The dogs bring the fleas into the house and the cats get them. For getting rid of them in your house, the best advice that I got from an exterminator on fleas was: vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. He said foggers were worthless. The Frontline will get them on the cat, but you also must clean your environment. Use the cracks& crevice attachment on all corners, particularly around things like the base of your sofa.

I did try boric powder for a while. It is one of the ingredients in Borateam - a non-toxic, non-poisonous white powder that if ingested by fleas, kills them. It is difficult to find and you might ask your vet - he had to order it for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts