Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... Here's the story.

3/31/3011 my great aunt Nell admitted she had a flea infestation in her house. She's 92, senile, and should not live alone but we can't *make* her go into a nursing home and she has a friend sticking up up for her staying ALONE. :?

Middy, about 8 years old, was taken to the emergency vet. The vet still remembers the cat just by mention of her condition. Beautiful long hair was 3/4 gone, and she had a few HUNDRED fleas on her body - let alone the ton in the house! Capstar and Frontline later, and she's still had fleas on her fairly often since (it's now three months). We've vacummed, sprayed, fogged, had professionals spray, vaccuumed again, sprayed again, etc... STILL there are fleas. We can't go over every day. We also can't get Aunt Nell out of the house for a few days to get the place tented. It's been about $1500 just in house treatments and paying us to care for the house (dad wont' let me work for free, since I have a full time job too and a daughter)... I don't see ANY solution other than tenting, really.

Now I'm pregnant. I can't spray or be around while we spray. The fleas will ALWAYS jump on us and ride home with us. I don't want the flea problem to come home of course, one house is bad enough!

Any suggestions? My parents are seeing if there are legal avenues for them to have her at least have a visiting nurse required (if she lets the nurse in! She won't let anyone have a key to the house!), but we don't know what is going to happen.

Middy is there. She usually has food out when I'm there, though it's crud (9Lives) that is always purchased. I took her to the vet for shots, check up, etc, and my vet said she was OK though a little under weight (8 pounds, should be 9/9.5). Middy is the best friend of Aunt Nell, and the only thing keeping her as sane as she currently is.

What can I do? Suggestions? Middy is usually on Frontline, occiasionally on Advantage or some Hartz flea med... I am the only one applying the meds though, so I have to go back shortly to see Aunt Nell and treat Middy... Great. Just great. :fust

BTW, just got my own kitty 9 days ago, so another reason to avoid Nell's house is the fact that I don't want to bring hardy fleas home to my own kitten to deal with! What a situtation...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
sounds like the best thing you can do is see about a heated flea trap. Since fleas are motivated by heat this will attract them and the glue board will hold them til disposed of, The more you catch this way the fewer eggs you have to worry about. the fleas are easy enough to deal with. its the eggs you are now fighting.. they only hatch if they since movement or heat and will hibernate for at least a year otherwise.

And being pregnant this will also lower your exposure to chemicals, and if you wash the cat use Dawn dish soap it will kill fleas without you touching more poisons. but keep up the frontline or the flea pills given by a vet.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
almost forgot and can't edit the last one, but you may also consider spraying both her and your yards with nematodes. you can buy them online from Gardens Alive. It is completely safe for pets, and children and are a natural predator to all types of fleas.

as to the heated traps.. i have seen in a really bad house 10,000 fleas on one trap.. so i know they work :D or close enough I am soooo not going to count them.. trust me the thing was covered...

·
Registered
254 Posts
For your great aunt Nell I would consider calling Adult Protective Services for at least an assessment. A flea infestation that bad can possibly make an eldery person ill and anemic just as it does to cats. Best of luck to you, Aunt Nell, and Middy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts