Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Box says 8 weeks old and up, no mention of weight other than under 5lbs. Ratchet is 2.1lbs and 7 weeks old, do you think he's big enough to use it? He's bigger than most of my fosters at 10 weeks. I'm not normally one for flea meds since my kitties are indoor only, but I have a flea infestation right now. Every time I treat the apartment and Bootsie all the fleas jump on him. Dawn bath and flea comb later, there still ends up being a few on him. And since I'm on the subject of weight, my vet said to bring him in to neuter at 2lbs. Now that he's over 2lbs, is that too small for a neuter at 7/8 weeks?

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
The 2/2 "rule" is two months old, at least 2 lbs. I would wait another week, just to be sure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
And since I'm on the subject of weight, my vet said to bring him in to neuter at 2lbs. Now that he's over 2lbs, is that too small for a neuter at 7/8 weeks?
Its crazy how vet advice differs from one place to another...the vet Cricket used to go to says he can be brought in as soon as his testicles drop....the vet we are at now doesnt suggest neutering until 6-7 months of age. Personally if I were you, I would wait a little longer to have him nuetered..

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Well, the 2/2 may be mostly for rescues, so they can get fixed and be adopted out. My twinz were fixed at almost 10 weeks, but that's because they had to wait for Cali (the runt) to get up to 2 lbs.

Plus, younger kittens seem to recover quicker.

·
Banned
602 Posts
Mia was fixed when she was 6 weeks old by the shelter. She was 2.2lbs. I took her home at 7 weeks and 2 days old. She was very active and you would have never known. The vet I have now says the sooner the better as long as they are at least 2lbs. They recover a lot quicker. Right before she came home they put Frontline on her (not Frontline plus, just the regular). She never had any problems. They said they do that to all the kittens before they turn 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm not normally one for flea meds since my kitties are indoor only, but I have a flea infestation right now. Every time I treat the apartment and Bootsie all the fleas jump on him. Dawn bath and flea comb later, there still ends up being a few on him.
as long as you have flea eggs you will have fleas. Keep using the dawn and a comb. Vacuum, vacuum , vacuum. invest in a lighted/heated flea sticky trap and place them in the rooms most used. Fleas are only active / hatch as long as there is heat and motion in a room. I have had luck with this method the few times I had flea infestation and had to use minimal chemicals. Ask the vet also for a flea pill that will kill them when they bite (when up to weight for it). once you interupt the cycle you will get them under control.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose I didn't convey what I meant, BotanyBlack. My question WAS to interrupt the cycle. I have never had fleas until now. Recently due to taking in this kitten at a day old (who was covered in fleas) my home got infested. If I did not have this kitten even with an infestation, it would be under control. The kitten is now 2.1lbs as of last Thursday, I asked about flea meds for a reason (to break the cycle). When I treat the home some fleas migrate to the kitten. I comb/dawn the kitten. They jump back into the carpet (or even on me! I have bites to prove it). Once he's dry, they jump back onto him, I bathe him, treat the carpet, most die, but he's black on his face so I'll miss a flea or two (or they hide out on me), then the cycle begins alllll over again. I know how to kill fleas. Right now to break the cycle I need Advantage, hence my question.

It's too late for my question anyway- I gave it to him last night even though it says 8 weeks and older. He's big for his age and almost 8 weeks (Thursday). I'll be enjoying my flea free home once again after doing one more pass through. I also don't plan to neuter any time soon, I'll be getting a different vet. I just wasn't sure if this is a common practice, and it seems to be on the fence with some vets. I'd prefer to wait either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts