Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

Our two guys are making it clear (to us anyway) that they would like to go outside more often this summer. They only go out on harnesses when we are with them...........which means basically weekends or short times in the evening during the week.

Here is my question. What should we be using for fleas. I have absolutely no experience in this. I have read that some work by having the flea bite into the skin, they ingest the bad stuff and then meet their maker. I don't want them to get bitten, so is one of the topical preventions going to be adequate? A colleague has already recommended Frontline Plus. If it helps at all, they will be 2 yrs old in August.

Do I need to take them to the vet to get a prescription for this, or is it an OTC product? And, finally what are you all using? We DO NOT have fleas inside, and we DO NOT WANT them!!! We would however, like for our guys to enjoy the outdoors with us and still be protected.

Thank you for your input.

Bryon

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
prevention is ALWAYS the best cure! :)
I use frontline aswell and my cats come and go as they please, personally i think its great stuff.
Here in the uk you have to be registered with the vet before they will sell you it- you cant get it in the shops here as of yet, i know there has been talks about it. It goes on the back of the neck just make sure once you have put it on your little guys dont go grooming each other otherwise it can make them ill ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Always use a topical such as Advantage or Frontline. If you live in a tick-free area, Advantage is the best on the market for fleas. But if there are ticks in your area, be sure to get Frontline because Advantage only protects against fleas.

I personally believe Advantage lasts longer than 1 month like the package said. I put it on every 2 months instead of every month. If you want a VERY low-cost place for flea & tick products: http://www.fleameds.com

Abhay

·
Registered
107 Posts
When i first got sasha from the shelter, she had bad fleas. we bought advantage and used all three doses, and wala! fleas were gone never to return since! i reccomend it, and u can buy it at pet stores OTC, it costs about 40 dollars out here in Cali, but it might differ from place to place. good luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It seems to be the consensus among my holistic vet list buddies that Frontline is somewhat safer than Advantage. A few cats have had bad reactions to Advantage including liver failure, but this is extremely rare--the vast majority of cats do fine with either.

Just be absolutely certain the product you use is approved for cats. The dog version will kill a cat very fast.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting Dr. Jean, my vet thinks that Advantage is better for just fleas. He says if you don't have ticks in your area, don't use unnecessary treatment. I am going to order in a few days. I don't have ticks in my area....but I sure don't want to have my cats go to the hospital :shock:

A friend of mine told me that the dog topical control has the same ingredients as the cat topical treatment. So, he said just to buy a mL measurer and split the dog one in the same amount of mL's the cat one has. He is very experienced with cats, but he's still not a vet.....so I don't know if I trust him. Has anyone heard of doing this?

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, I must admit that for all my life I have never treated preventatively for fleas. My parents have always allowed our cats to go outside with supervision and have never had any fleas at home. I really doubt that it will be an issue if they aren't actually living outside.

Maybe you could start with holistic products instead of going straight for the big guns? :) I have found a spray of boiled and cooled water infused with lemon and rosemary works very well at discouraging all sorts of bugs and smells pretty nice too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rayona-

I would LOVE to go that route. I am just afraid that it wont work. I am not doubting your opinion by any means, I only know what kind of luck I have.

So, how do you prepare this concoction of yours? I would love to give that a try. How about a little more info on that, please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
spittles- The igredients i beleive are the same, it is the doses, and as drjean said an overdose can quickly and porbilbly not very nicely kill a cat.
Personally i would stick to the cat one, its is always better to be sure and safe.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I first got my kittens, I used this recipe I found online to wash them before I could get to the vet to treat their fleas. This wash worked very well--the fleas literally jumped off of them into the tub!

I boiled two sliced lemons, skin on, a tablespoon of dried rosemary and a dash of cayenne in ~2 quarts of water. Let sit and steep overnight, filter into a spray or squeeze bottle or use as a post-bath rinse.

I haven't seen a flea since I treated my kittens in August, but they are completely indoor. My mother has never even done this, and none of the many cats we've had over the years have had any flea problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts