Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never treated Stephen for fleas since she is an indoor cat, and I do not believe in giving her meds she does not need.

We got a puppy a month ago, and she just received her monthly dose of Revolution last Monday (6/14).

Well, last night, I found a flea on my shirt after having the puppy take a nap on my lap. We've been pretty vigalent about checking the puppy over since we got her. She hasn't been scratching, though (except for her collar area which she always does). Stephen hasn't scratched whatsoever.

Couple of questions...

1. Is it possible for the puppy to carry a flea in and it to jump to me instead because the puppy is treated?

2. Should I treat Stephen regularly for fleas now that we have a puppy -- especially if it's possible for the puppy to bring them and pass them on?

3. Is it possible this was an isolated incident and we shouldn't worry?

4. What do we do as far as the house goes?

Sorry for all of the questions...

·
Registered
676 Posts
mismodliz:

There is a lot you can do, so there is hope!

If you've only seen just one so far, then it's probably not too bad yet.

Make sure you vacuum your carpets well and on a regular basis, including your fabric furniture.

Continue treating with revolution/advantage/frontline etc until you no longer see any fleas.

There are many different species of fleas and typically ones on dogs will not like human hosts, or cat hosts etc, but having several types in one home is common.

Make sure you are not bathing the animals right after or right before you apply any topical flea prevention. About 3 days you should wait, before or after.

Just a couple things, good luck :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We actually have wood floors and linoleum in the main rooms of the house (I was sitting in the living room when I found it).

The puppy hasn't been bathed since receiving her treatment, and we will continue it every month.

In the meantime, should I purchase a treatment for my cat?

I vacuum the couch and recliner every week for pet hair. Is there something I should spray on the furniture just in case?

·
Registered
676 Posts
There are some products for furnature, but it's really all give or take depending on if it works. Some people say yes, some people say no, but typically store bought stuff is worthless.
I would say treat the cat, buy a one month supply only and see how it goes.

I know even with dogs around, when my cats have needed flea treatment, I give it to them for a month and then they are gone. I haven't had a flea in my home for.... about 3+ years now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts